DUTCH INVASION :) Maresa(marees) and Henk visit from Holland and Jenn79 joins us :)

Seattle Travel Blog

space needle

I Had the pleasure to meetup with a couple of friends from the Netherlands who were in town for just 1 day on the way from San Francisco back to Vancouver B.C.  Maresa & her boyfriend Henk wanted to see the Space Needle and whatever else they had time for(Maresa and i had been in touch back in forth by email planning and discussing things for a few weeks prior to their arrival). They flew in saturday night, and grabbed a hotel for the night by the airport then i think took a taxi into town sunday morning. I suggested they take the "ride the ducks" tour of seattle www.ridetheducks.com after they went to the top of the Space Needle that morning to see the views.

The ducks tour starts and ends right by the Space Needle so that was convenient and then i would pick them up and we would venture off to see a few other things.

On Sunday morning I actually got into town early so i found them waiting for the tour and we talked for a minute and decided on a game plan. Earlier i drove by the baseball stadium(Safeco Field) and had found a guy that wanted to stay home and watch the seahawks game on tv with his family instead of go to the Seattle Mariners baseball game(he has season tickets). He had 4 tickets he was trying to sell(Terrace level tickets = great view plus u have your own waiter :)  Maresa and Henk agreed to the better tickets(not as cheap as i had orignally mentioned) so i went back down to find the guy while they were on the ducks tour.

maresa and henk with the troll :)
The NY Yankees were in town so all the tickets were sold out to the game, we could sit in $10 bleacher seats that the scalpers were selling for $20 each or we could pay more for the terrace club seats. We were in luck he was still in his car by the stadium listening to the Seahawks pregame and still had the tickets. He was asking $40 a piece(each)(these usually sell for $60+ at the box office, $54 each if season ticket holder) but he accepted $120 for all 4 ($30 each)(I made sure the tickets were genuine and then he was off to enjoy some family time and watch the NFL football game) so for $10 more per ticket we got a huge upgrade. I wanted them to enjoy the experience, this was their first baseball game in person EVER(only chance to see a game on this trip to the states) so lets make it memorable i figured! :) So I had the tickets and I headed to pick them up, we 1st went to the Pikes Place Market real quick, now this is similar to other places Maresa had seen and we were short on time so we did not stay long.
Maresa and Henk
We did stay long enough to see them throw the fish(one guy tosses a salmon about 15-30 feet to another guy like its nothing). Luckily my years of working for Fed Ex and such helped me find good parking close(metered parking free on sundays) so we were back to our vehicle and on our way to get Jenn.

Jenn was being brought down from Vancouver B.C. Canada in a small tour bus as she was with friends who's band had performed the night before and was heading to Portland I believe for another show that night. I had them drop her off in a bus zone by the University of Washington Med. center and the football/basketball facilities. This was easy for me to find her(empty on sundays) and close for her friends to jump back on the freeway(Hwy 520 montlake exit).

hmmmm
We were excited to meet Jenn, she had a big smile and was all bubbly and full of hugs :) So she gets in and I decided to take them all to visit the Fremont Troll and get a few photos with our cement friend :)  Then we were off to the game, we find parking $15 or $20 but worth it as it is only 2 blocks from our seats basically. Now we only have like 2 hours to enjoy the game before we have to leave so we did not want to waste to much time walking forever to and from the car. We get inside and we are all happy with where we are sitting.  We almost a problem though, they recheck your tickets when you enter the terrace club seating and i think it was Maresa that was worried as she had 10 pockets and finally found which one she stuck the ticket in :)  (afraid she maybe had dropped it) Maresa and Henk both had fun and there was a guy behind us who let them use his binoculars and insisted they have some cracker jacks to enjoy the experience :) Many of the people around us were great and thought it was neat this was their first baseball game.
space needle
The duo also got to see us proudly sing the Star Spangle Banner which was new to them as well(this is one of my favorite moments of a game, my time to say thanks to the troops and its just hard to explain - its an important and special moment always). Maresa and Henk had their Giants hats they bought while in san Francisco, which did not surprise me since they are black with "dutch orange" for lettering ;) We had a great time, but sadly we had to leave a bit early, its ok i guess Seattle was playing bad anyways if i remember correctly. Leaving the game early allowed us to beat the after the game traffic. I drove Maresa and Henk to the hotel where the bus they would take to Vancouver B.C. would pick them up. We all 4 said our goodbyes and Jenn and I headed to the airport so she could catch her flight home to Los Angeles.
I had a chance to talk for a while with Jenn before her flight so that was nice, but wish we could have hung out more. Another time for sure! I had a great day and they said they did as well, wish we lived closer or was easier to visit each other as the 4 of us had a great time and seemed to be a good fit to hangout. Til we meet again my friends!

mr_shanet says:
:) sounds good!!

By The Way people, i believe the funny shaped building below the Space Needle in the photos is part of the Jimmy Hendrix music experience. maybe somethings to look up online see if worth checking out when your here. the Seattle center has many things in it. Space Needle, music experience, Key arena(used to be where the sonics played now its for concerts and such as well as i think the storm ladys basketball team), bit of seattle food event is here each summer, etc.
Posted on: Mar 26, 2009
vances says:
Dang, what an awesome host. I'll definitely let you know if I'm headed to Seattle!

:^)
Posted on: Mar 26, 2009
safeco field
safeco field
blurry shot of A-rod
blurry shot of A-rod
Maresa
Maresa
yes i cut her out a bit ;)
yes i cut her out a bit ;)
Me and Jenn