Yardenit Baptismal Site - And Sea of Galilee

Sea of Galilee Travel Blog

“Yardenit is a popular Baptism site. Here, the water flows into the Jordan river, eventually flowing into the Dead Sea located more than 100KM to the south. This site is believed by some traditions to be the actual site where Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist (Matthew 3: 13 : Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John’).” - Anonymous web author on religious site.

I felt moved, spiritually, standing at Jesus’ baptismal site, submerging my feet in it as fish fluttered about -,and, later, swimming in the Sea of Galilee.  The same sea, on which, according the New Testament, Jesus walked.

Moreover, it was the only body of water that was refreshing as of the date of our visit (the Mediterranean Sea, which we visited in following days, also suited me well). The Dead Sea, or Salt Sea, is just that: salty. While it is an interesting sensation to float, effortlessly, the water feels like warm oil -and it burns the slightest cut or bump on your body. I will spare you a gross story, but that is why, for example, lifeguards do not let children swim or float alone in the Dead Sea; I believe that children under age five cannot enter at all. Because if any person actually turns over to swim, their eyes assuredly would feel every bit on fire; and little ones, curious and naive, are certain to flip and dive. Similar to the Dead Sea, we  swam in the Red Sea on a day when it was, I am told, “unusually” salty. But the Sea of Galilee felt smooth, and light. The water rushes over you , gently, and when you look beyond the sea, to the sky,  it is very beautiful indeed.
I was grateful to stay until the sun set, perfectly, over all of us as we frolicked.

Now, that said, the Sea of Galilee is not perfect. Like many other places on earth that humans have the privilege to experience-but not the appreciation to preserve-it has pollution.  As I was overcome with the passion of Christ, my girlfriend reached down into the water, and pulled from beneath her feet a chocolate bar wrapper. “Look what I found in your holy water!,” she mocked, in her best South Park voice, the way we used to joke in HS. We both laughed hysterically. And then I splashed her harder than I’d ever splashed anyone before.

Sea of Galilee