Daytrip To Ranua

Ranua Travel Blog

Otter who came to look us.

I was visiting my dad and we decided to go to Ranua Zoo, which is about 50 kilometres from where he lives. The weather was good in the morning, but during the day it started to rain. There were not lots of people. It was first day of school after summer (not for me 'cause I wasn't at school at the moment) so tourists season had just ended. Couple others there were (people who had already ended school and Dutch tourists). I'm writing opening times, ticket prices and etc. on review.

First animal was otter. It was SO CUTE. It was swimming, but when it (I really don't know was it she or he so I'm saying it) noticed us it came to look at us and tried to get up on us. :) Next animals were gnawers and other small animals. Gnawers and other small animals means mouses, gerbils, minks, etc.

Snowy owl
All of them were cute, except one ermine which didn't let me to take photo of it. It did run arond it's cage and back and forth to inside and outside. There is lots of birds like owls (I love snowy owls), hawk, grey hens (is that real word?), etc... Some of the birds were on "curve" so you could skip them and walk shorter way. After birds, ducks and swan, next animals were wild boars. They were really pig and eating mud (or so it looked like). They didn't pay any attention to us.

The zoo has two "star animals". Others are polar bears. Zoo has three polar bears: twin Venus and Valeska and one other which name I can't remember. Other of the twins was sleeping and other walking around sniffing wall which seperated twins from the other polar bear.

Polar bear
That other was sleeping too. I think that in this point it started to rain. After polar bears next animals were bears, the ones I was waiting to see. I really don't know why I wanted so much to see bears. Unfortunately they were sleeping. Baby bears (or they were couple years old) were sleeping as a one pile. So cute. :) Wolfes were laying almost next to walking road (of course on their "fencing"). They were cute too. As I already mentioned the zoo has two star animals. The others are lynxes. Two of them (Isa and Bella, I love the names :D) are actually movie stars. I like about the movie which they were in. Just like bears; they were sleeping. Next to lynxes there were two wolverines. Other one was sleeping and other did run around the cages (just like wolverines usually do).
Baby bears

In this point of the zoo there is "rock park". There is big rocks, which some of them looks really weird. After rocks comes reindeers, dears and mooses. I don't see nothing speacial in those 'cause I have seen all of them in nature (reindeers TOO many times). Foxes did look bad. It was time when they had their fur changed so they looked like they were ill or just had a fight. Artic foxes had their feeding time when we got to their cage. They looked really shy 'cause they didn't go close to feeder, they waited until she did throw the food to them. One of them came to eat inside so we saw it really close. We didn't want to bother it while it was eating so we contiuned walking. Then there were more reindeers.

The last part (or first, it depends when you choose to go there) of the zoo is domestic animal park. There is animals like donkeys, cows, goats, ducks, etc. Pigs did look so cute while they were sleeping and sheeps too (though they weren't sleeping). My dad tried to scratch one horse (stupid idea, I said), but it didn't like about it. Some of the small animals (like rabbits and guinea pigs) were inside because of the rain. That's pretty much it.

Cute otter
Snake
Snake
Fox
Fox
Artic fox waiting for a food.
Artic fox waiting for a food.
Artic fox eating
Artic fox eating
Reindeers. I really love this phot…
Reindeers. I really love this pho…
Sleeping otter. Really cute!
Sleeping otter. Really cute!
Sheeps
Rabbit
Rabbit
Ranua Sights & Attractions review
Ranua Zoo
Ranua Zoo's idea is to show (quoting official website:) "Nordic and Arctic animals in their most natural environment possible around the year." Zoo ha… read entire review