Orlando to Tallahassee

Tallahassee Travel Blog

Last night I didn’t hear Jag come to bed.  This morning I did not hear him get up until he began using the hair dryer!  I was so pooped out last night I did not even dream.

Our hotel serves a full, hot breakfast every morning and it was pretty good.  While enjoying our meal, a darling little girl named Hayley sat with her parents at the next table.  She was shy at first and I did not try to talk to her.  After a while, we began to talk about her toy, a stuffed unicorn.  She actually began to play with me and it brought back thoughts of my darling Mirabai.  Little Hayley is very bright and, like Mira at that age, uses the language very well.

We left Orlando/Lake Buena Vista at about 10 and hopped on the toll road.  The traffic was light and it was very pleasurable.  The tollway merged into I-75, which we followed for only a short distance.  We took a local road en route to Tallahassee, a very beautiful drive.  We passed forests and fields, went through small towns and I, for one, really enjoyed the slower pace.  Of course, this being Florida, a speed limit of 55 mph really means 80!

One thing I noticed were the kudzu plants covering many of the trees and bushes alongside the road.  Previously I thought it was just English ivy.  While we were on the boat trip at Biscayne National Park, the ranger mentioned this very prolific plant.  It is not native to the United States.  It is, sadly, spreading quite fast.  It can eventually kill the host plants.

We were unable to find a full-fledged rest area until about 2.30 PM.  Jag was really angry about it and has vowed to just drive places on the interstate highways unless there is no choice.  That is so boring and can really cause problems with keeping awake while driving.  In places such as the extremely flat topography of Florida, this can be a very big problem.  It happens anywhere the scenery has very few places that keep your eyes busy.

We reached Tallahassee about 4.00 PM and are staying at the Quality Inn.  By using the Room Saver coupon, the room costs only $44 per night.  That price includes breakfast.  The room itself is nice, although pretty ordinary.  The desk clerk recommended Marie Livingston’s Steak House for dinner.  It was very good indeed.  Our food was tasty and our waitress, Chrissy, was a real sweetheart: a young woman from Detroit, Michigan, going to Florida State University where she is a junior majoring in accounting.  Unfortunately I could not find an internet link for the restaurant.

Back to the motel room to finish this entry, along with yesterday’s.  I think I will get it done this time.

photo by: Cho