Concord to Barstow

Barstow Travel Blog

We finally got started - our usual: 2 hours late.  I had hoped to leave by 6 AM, but neither Jag nor I had more than about 2 hours of sleep last night.  We were moving in very slow motion.  Add to that a case of nerves, or was it my old agoraphobia, and I was a wreck.  All better now!

We had packed the car last night and Jag had been cooking much of the day, preparing our dinner plus some yummy stuff for lunch on the road: Asian chicken salad, asparagus and green beans, shirah and carrot halvah!  My oh my - we eat so good the first day or two of any road trip.  While he labored in the kitchen, I got busy with straightening the house.  As those of you who have seen our house know - that is an impossible job.  But Jag helped: he actually threw away two or three (very small!) things.  I am so proud of him.

We had made a stop to leave some plants with Shan and Aruna Patil, so that delayed us still more.  They had their grandbabies with them and it was great fun to see the differences in this adorable set of twins.  Jay is very outgoing and smiles all the time.  Maya, on the other hand, is very serious and we never did get her to smile even a little.

The drive was uneventful.  Traffic was not too heavy.  Dear Rhoda (Roada?), our GPS, insisted that the town of Barstow was, in fact, Fresno.  No matter what I did, Barstow came up as Fresno, complete with Fresno's motels and restaurants.  We finally got her to direct us to the motel we had selected in Barstow - but we had to wait until we were about 30 miles out.  Otherwise: back to Fresno!  The moral of this story is: no matter how wonderful a GPS unit is, always carry a good, old-fashioned paper map.

We leave for Flagstaff in the morning.  We will be giving some items from one of my late Colorado River rafting co-workers to the NAU-Cline Library Special Collections department for inclusion in the Georgie White Clark collection.  If we can get an early start, we hope to go on to Winslow or Holbrook.  That would give us an opportunity to go to the Petrified Forest.   Neither Jag nor I have been there in at least 25 years!

More tomorrow.

dahling says:
I have never heard of carrot halva and cannot really imagine how it is made. It is made like halva from sesame paste?
Posted on: Sep 24, 2008