the old architecture between modern buildings - long hours walk around the City

London Travel Blog

I was going to move to the next place when I saw a man in a red coat  talking through the mobile phone near the entrance to the Westminster Abby. I moved back to picture it. And then I noticed an noticeboard with some information about 10 statues named one by one - 20th century martyrs - the first one Maximilian Kolbe (I checked it twice if I see well).

Kolbe is a very well-known Polish Franciscan monk. Near Warsaw there is a famous Niepokalanów - monastery house founded by him. When I visited the museum in Niepokalanów some years ago the paitings that shows the final days from his life made a big impression on me.
As a prisoner in the camp Auschwitz he took his co-prisoner's place, when one of ten men was crying out lamenting about his chils and wife (10 were piced to starve to death when one escaped). After 2 weeks of starvation4 of the 10 men were still alive including Kolbe. But the death bunker was needed so they were executed with an injection of phenol. Then he was 47 years old. Nowadays the Saint's attribute it is a Nazi concentration camp uniform and he patronages among others 20th century, power works (he founded the second Niepokalanów in Nagasaki, Japan), jurnalists (he started the publications, a radio station) and more.

I don't know much about the others, the most of them I don't know at all, but at leas now I know their names. This is a good begining to find any additional info.

the statue of Maximilian Kolbe