glacier climb

Fox Glacier Travel Blog

So what better way to spend you birthday than climb up 600 steps through a rainforest. Then climb onto a glacier.

But no kidding it was so cool. (no Ice jokes!)

We turned up at Fox Glacier, met Clare friend Kimmie, then we got booted up, on the bus and we were off. Then we walked along the base of the mountain. Andrew the guide points out where the glacier has been before, showing lumps of ice, before we arrive at the base of the glacier. Which looks like a grey pavola.

We then climb up through the rainforest up steps, along a bluff, up a ladder then down some steps before you put on ur spikes and go onto the ice. We go up some steps that are made every day. then we have to go through this crack which had collasped that night. So where as before it being up to your shoulders it is now 12 ft deep and I am getting really panicky cause it is small space. But I squeezed my way up, helping steph as well. We get to the top soaking wet. It is great. cause you are walking on ice but it doesnt feel like it cause of ur spikes. You can see holes, see water running through, rocks falling off. Its great. Definately worth doing!

But cold as in ICE!