Our first train journey

Alleppey Travel Blog

The Secret beach
Hey We have survived our first train journey !!! But oh my god what an experience.

Our taxi driver helped us with the tickets, and we got an earlier train which was 90 minutes late. (Jo you cant complain about english public transport until you have gone indian style) We ended up going 3rd class sleeper but air conditioned. Its not quite cattle class but it was close.

At the station we were felt like we should have had a hat out to collect money as everyone was staring and pointing at us, i think we may be performing monkeys!!!

The train pulls in, looks like we were kinda expecting but no people on roof we are on the express trains! Its dark and dirty on the inside and they convert into 8 bunks in each section so it tight, but luckly we were only sharing with 2 other people from oz.
The view from Hostel
Well I say that but we did have a cochroach problem , but they were tiny and were by steph so I didnt mind. So we had 16 hours on this train from 3 in afternoon until 5am. So we played cards, read our books, listened to music, I fed steph all the free food we kept getting. The main course which i skipped was a veg curry which was 2 containers of yellow liquid and one came with a free leaf. Rice. Packet which contained beetroot (dried but not meant to have been) chilli, and a piece of carrot which looked like it was taken from a rabbit hutch!!! But she ate (more fool her) Oh and we have named our backpack we had to play rock paper scirrors to descided who got which name. Franks backpack is called Helen and mine is called Jo!! (sorry girls)

As we were getting off at 5am, I desiced to stay up to ensure we got off at the right stop.
The local shop
But set the alarm clock and gave it to Frank just in case. Just as well I fell asleep about 3 ....oops.

Once we got off the staion, we needed to get some cash. We didnt find any as it was 5am dark and everything was closed. So we waited in the statition with the other sleeping people all over the place (look like an aftermouth of a hurrcain) Then about 6.30 we got a a taxi.

Oh my god this taxi was 1950/60 car looked a bit like a morris minor. Had no wing mirrors, I think the seat was metal with a materal cover. There was incense burning. The roads here are far worse huge pot holes, not much tarmac. (if I hear anyone complain about the roads back home I may laugh) But we arrived at our hostel, really early. Its called Tom and Jerry, there are tom and jerry drawings everywhere even on our linen. Well cool. And thats it I cant really comment on Kerela yet cause, we have just woken up and showered, so we are off to investigate in a min. But I will keep you posted.

monicacarter says:
When can we see some photos???
Posted on: Sep 25, 2008