First visit to Auckland

Auckland Travel Blog

After the Cook Islands my next stop was going to be Auckland!

My last stop before Australia I was looking forward to a little more activity and Auckland did not dissappoint.

We stayed at a very nice little hostel close to the center and right next to one of the old vulcano's that Auckland is build upon, the first night I decided to climb up the vulcano and get a nice view of the sunset, and of the city by night. Later in the week I went up the skytower which was a bit expensive as the view offered was close to the one I got on the vulcano.

During my stay I spend most of the time at the marina/harbour in the center of the city which had a large range of bars and restaurants, unfortunately I never really found out where the real clubs were otherwise I would have visited one.

One day me and my travelling partner decided to take a trip to one of the islands of the coast named: Waiheke

The sights on this island were beautiful, and we got to meet some of those 40,000,000 sheep :), however we spend most of the day on the beach. On this trip we also met a couple of nice people from Canada with whom we spend most of the day. Visiting this island is quite inexpensive and a good way to spend a day when you visit Auckland.

Before going I had planned to visit the south island of NZ also, however by this time the budget didnt really allow for this as in two weeks I had to pay for nearly 5 months of housing in Australia. (So this is still on my to do list).

I had an absolutely marvelous stay in Auckland, the city had a great atmosphere and the 8 days I spend in Auckland during my first stay was really not enough to completely explore the city. However it was time to depart to my main destination: Ballarat, Australia.

photo by: Fulla