Leaving Bangkok

Nakhon Pathom Travel Blog

Beautiful cars

This morning I left Bangkok to go to the floating markets.  I left early at seven am and arrived at eight at the floating market. There I arranged with other travelers a boat to make a trip through the market. It's a pity it's not the vegetable and fruit market it used to be in the old days. Nowadays it's more of a touristy market and selling all kinds of stuff any tourist would like. After one hour it became very crowded with other tourists, busloads were coming in. And the wooden boats were bumping into each other as it was also to crowded on the channels. However it's nice to see how Thai women have a skillful driving or should I say floating their boats and serve the market sellers with a delicious Thai dish.

Salt
After a while me and the other tourist were getting hungry to so we went to a restaurant and ordered some different dishes. They served several dishes with vegetables, chicken some with nuts, other dishes were a bit spicier and the dishes were served with rice. Some dishes were a bit spicier than other but they were all very delicious.

After lunchtime at the little Thai restaurant I bought a ticket for a train trip. This trip would go a piece over the Burma Railway. It was very quit on this traintrack but after a while the headlights of the train became visible. I was advised to sit down at the right side of the train to have the best sight out of the train. That was a very good one, which side would be the best it was depending in what way you jumped onto the train.

Saltwinning
Well, after asking I ended up at the good side of the train, because after a while you would have a mountainside next to you and would see nothing special. In the train coach I ended up between a few old Thai man who assured that I didn't miss anything of the landscape or railway on my camera. They were pointing out at the most important landscapes and scenery at least one hundred times :-). When an English speaking Thai told that many Dutch men died during the construction of the railway they nodded their heads like they understood every word of it. One guy pointed out to his lips and made a movement. I didn't understand him exactly, either he wanted a cigarette or he wanted to use my lip gloss.... I couldn't help him with the first item and after short thinking I thought giving him my lip gloss wouldn't be a success either. After the trip over the railway I went to visit the bridge over the River Kwai and the JEATH Museum. Both places are very interesting. The JEATH Museum is a small museum but very impressing and it gives a good impression about the circumstances the prisoners of war had to live. You just can't imagine how many people worked in captivity at the railway under miserable conditions. Most prisoners died of tropical diseases or malnutrition.

aswold says:
It seems that you traveled well on your own
Posted on: Jan 04, 2009