Traditional punishment

Manmoyi Travel Blog

Started surgery pretty early in the day. H + R each did a castration + F did a lot of spays. I did anaesthesia the whole day which I didn't really mind but my back was majorly killing me + I didn't get much of a break except for lunch. We finished up about 5pm very hot and dirty and headed to the river for a swim. All us girls plunged in while the boys attempted unsuccessfully to catch a fish. It was very cool in the water but very refreshing and the first semi-wash I'd had in days. When it was dark we headed back to camp where C cooked us a salami and pasta dinner. We sat around the fire for ages and J told us about traditional forms of punishment - if the person has been found guilty of lying about causing harm to another (resulting in death) then family members of the victim can stand him on a rock and throw boomerangs at him until he is knocked out and dies. Death is a punishment allowed from age ten onwards - at this age a person is deemed to be able to differentiate right from wrong. He also told us a bit more about women's and men's ceremonies which can last anywhere from three months to one year. Really interesting stuff. I keep seeing these cool dust-coloured spiders at night with glowing sapphire eyes reflected in the light from my head torch. I've been amazed by how much influence traditional culture still has on the people up here. It's a total contrast to what I believed before I came - I thought it had been pretty much wiped out. Just goes to show how one sided the media portrayal of the Aboriginal communities are (always the bad, never the good). R slept outside near the fire which A kept stoked for her. Had a good sleep.
Chelsea says:
Wow, that's all very interesting!
Posted on: Aug 22, 2008