Last day in Kakadu NP

Kakadu National Park Travel Blog

Massive termite mound
Got up about 6:30am and my back was feeling quite a bit better. Packed up camp then headed to the Kakadu Culture Centre just next to our campsite. Jenny taught us all about stripping, drying and weaving the pandanus and all the cool different things you could make - bags, fish traps, mats etc. We also learnt about the uses of many of the Kakadu plants. Then her brother taught us about dirt ovens that they use to cook buffalo, barramundi, turtles etc in, in a pit in the ground slowly for 5-6hrs covered with paperbark tree bark. We also got taught how to do traditional spear throwing with a 'wooma' and tried to hit some plastic animal targets - none of us were successful though! Jenny's other brother showed us how to play didgeridoo music but I couldn't do it at all! Others had more success.
Barramundi Gorge
Jenny also told us about 'Yingana' where women go to discuss secret women's business. Afterwards we piled into the truck again for the trip to Barramundi Gorge. On the way we stopped to look at some huge termite nests. The hike to the Gorge was not half as hard as the Jim Jim walk had been, and the plunge pools were great. The water was so deep that you could jump off a 3m boulder into the water. It was fun clambering around the rocks to get to the different pool levels. We also saw some tiny and medium-sized frogs around the pools. There were heaps of people there. Afterwards we hiked down to the base of the waterfall and had a swim there which was stunning too. We then headed back to the carpark for lunch (which I didn't have again) before starting the long bumpy drive back to Darwin which took at least 4hrs I think.
Barramundi Gorge
I slept some of the way. When we got back to Darwin I checked back into Melaleuca with H + now K too, showered, then we headed to the Vic Hotel in the Mall for tea which we'd got free vouchers for. The Italians met us there, as did the Korean, and R + L eventually came along too. The food was pretty crap, but hey, it was free! We hung around there for a while but it was pretty seedy so we headed back to Mitchell St and to Monsoon. There were lots of women there - 'mutton dressed as lamb' - H thought it was interesting enough to take photos...! We all went home around midnight when I discovered I had left my keys locked inside the cupboard...ARGH!
Kakadu National Park