Far to the north on a Saturday

Trondheim Travel Blog

No wonder I was hiding on the second floor inside SAS Radisson

In my head I always remember a commercial from Norwegian television that was built around one sentence “It’s good to be Norwegian " in Denmark” and now I know why! I have never in my life been in a place where things have been so expensive, it was ludicrous.

I guess it starts when you come out to your rental car after being parked in front of the hotel for 30 min and you find a parking ticket attached to your front window; 700 Nkr or 93 euro. They must be well off. I later parked my car in the hotel basement but that cost me 185 Nkr or 25 euro per 24h, but it was still a lot cheaper than a fine or 25 Nkr per hour in front of the hotelIn this country you have to really pay for everything; the buss from airport to the city centre is 90 Nkr or 12 euro.

Rain on the way - I was trying to catch the lightning as well but I missed all the time
If you go by car you have to pay toll at 2 different tunnels; one is 45 Nkr and the other is 10 Nkr, in total 7,5 euro on top of the gasoline which is sold at 1,90 euro a litre for both diesel and 95 unleaded; and this in one of the most oilrich countries in the world.

It is a fantastic and beautiful country but god-damn expensive, and I came there for the beauty. I had rented a car in the airport which I couldn’t collect there since I arrived late; 1am, so I had to take the 90 Nkr bus twice before getting my car Saturday morning. The first car I got didn’t function; the servo or the power steering had gone, but I rapidly got another one; the first time I ever have driven a Skoda and I was pleasantly surprised; in total without gasolin and road tax it costed me 1731 Nkr or 245 euro for the 2½ day stay.

annthansten says:
haha:)
I would never even consider renting a car, park it in a city or stay in a hotel when travelling in norway. And I'm norwegian ;)
Posted on: Aug 11, 2009
rotorhead85 says:
Wish I could afford to travel all those northern countries...have roots in Finland.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2009
cmgervais says:
Norway is the country that set my personal record for the Most Expensive Car Rental Ever. I had to get from Point A to Point B fast, one way, and ended up paying $450 for one day rental! Crazy.

And...wait til you buy a beer! I think there is super high tax, much of which goes back to the citizens in form of free health care and good public programs.

I agree though...BEAUTIFUL place. Nice photos.
Posted on: Aug 17, 2008
No wonder I was hiding on the seco…
No wonder I was hiding on the sec…
Rain on the way - I was trying to …
Rain on the way - I was trying to…
Rain on its way
All alone on the road
All alone on the road
Trondheim General Tips & Advice review
Hertz in Trondheim, Norway
Hertz in Trondheim airport is situated where everything else is situated, and I mean everything. When you enter the area where your luggage is coming … read entire review
Trondheim General Tips & Advice review
Parking Tickets in Norway
Well I don’t think I know anybody who really appreciated a parking fine in any place, but in Norway they are quiet expensive. I got a fine of 700 Nk… read entire review
Trondheim