Paris Perspectives I

Paris Travel Blog

Me & Notre Dame (My Bohemian ways)

This was my first visit to Paris. I flew from Palermo, Sicily to Paris on July 3, 1999. As was my habit back in the day, I had some adventure finding public transportation. I recorded the details in my journal: Take the Roissybus to Paris (48F ~$8 USD). I caught this bus at Terminal D, sortie 11. This bus takes you to Place de L'Opera. Go to the left when exiting the bus, then cross the street to the left when you see the Opera building, walk arond the Opera to the right and cross the street to the Opera Metro. I'll spare you the rest on the Metro since it was specific to my Hotel. Nevertheless, this is the adventurous way. I've had enough adventures in my life in finding a cheap way to satisfy my adventurous spirit, so today I would just take a taxi, and it saves time and energy and that is more important than the extra expense sometimes.

Musee de Cluny

DAY 1 (July 4): Walked from the hotel to the Notre Dame Cathedral. Since it was Sunday, there was a church service in progress. Walked around inside for a while, but could not go to the top because of some construction. It began to rain when I came out. Walked along the Seine to St. Chapelle. Headed down BD st. Michel to Jardin du Luxemborg, but stopped along the way at Musee de Cluny (20F ~$3USD). There are many medieval tapestries here. The Jardin du Luxemborg is a beautiful place, well maintained. There is such an array of colored flowers. Sat here for a while enjoying the beauty. Headed over to the Pantheon and had lunch at a cafe. The Pantheon was also closed. Spent the rest of the day wandering around the latin quarter and beyond and on St. Denis I discovered the red light district, which is sort of sleazy as these places usually are, but it seemed safe enough and there were many tourists about.

Invalides - Napoleons Tomb

DAY2 (July 5): Woke up late because of previous days activities. Wednt to Pont Neuf and had a boat tour along the Seine - Up past Eiffel, then back down to just past Notre Dame and returning to Pont Neuf. An enjotable and useful way to scope out the city. Next, I walked along the Seine to Musee D'Orsay, but it was closed. I continued on to Musee Rodin - closed. Had lunch in a small park near the museum (a few things I had bought in a store that morning). I continued on foot, after lunch, to les Invalides where I saw Napoleons tomb and a museum of armory along the cortyard of the the Invalides hospital. Continued to Esplanade de Invalides, across the Seine at Pont Alexandr to the Champs Elysees, then down Champs Elysees to L'Arc de Triomphe. I didn't much care for this area of Paris as it was noisey, crowded and not really much of interest.

Double Rainbow from Eiffel
Came down Avenue Klaber on foot to Trocadero and Palais de Chailot. They were closed, so I walked around them to the Jardins du Chailot for a view of the Eiffel Tower. Spectacular view. The Eiffel has a countdown in days to Y2K in large lights. Went down to the tower, but the lines for the elevator were so long, I opted to walk up for 12F. An exhausting walk. I stayed on the first platform. It was high enough for me anyway (~95 feet). While I was there you could see a rainstorm coming from the south while the sun still shone in the west. The rain and wind swept through the tower quite fiercely. The sun and the rain created a large rainbow arching across the sky, and then another appeared too, Wow! It was beautiful. I caught a photo of the the setting sun and went home.
Eiffel View I

DAY 3 (July 6): Exhausted from the past two days, as I expected I would be, I planned to spend my last day at the Louvre. Just my stupidity, I had not checked the days it was open. It's closed on Tuesdays! I wandered around the museum and jardin des Tuileries and then across the Seine to the Musee d'Orsay. Long lines, probably because the Louvre was closed. I didn't feel like waiting. I wandered back down Quai Voltaire along the Seine to BD St. Michel. I bought some postcards on Rue des Halle (1F each!) good deal. I took the Metro home and had a nap.  I woke early evening and took the Metro back to Rue Halle where I had spotted an Irish Pub. I had Irish Stew and a couple of beers while I wrote postcards. Leaving the pub and a few doors down was a place called "Chocollate".

Eiffel view II
I sat in a room with 7 or 8 other guys for a naked dance show. The girls would work the room for each show, sit in your lap sometimes and let you touch them. Each show had a theme and story with music & wardrobe too. The final show was a lesbian thing - only for watching two women together (Ahh, Ohh, Oui!), but the story was about greek goddesses I remember. It was worth $50. Men could visit backstage, but I headed home to pack.

These are the transcripts of my journal as I wrote it back then. A time capsule of my first visit to Paris. I thought to introduce an earlier vision of my self from back then (and I may do more of this) but for Paris I thought this was a good place to start. I apologize for the quality of the photos. I didn't know at the time, but my camera had a problem and exposed the film more or less at various times during the trip. Most of the photos were under or over exposed as a result and only some remain that are worth showing...

spocklogic says:
I would agree with that Paris Perspective!
Posted on: Dec 05, 2015
Besandri says:
Paris is such an interesting city ...
Everyone needs to see and feel Paris at some stage in their life
Posted on: Dec 05, 2015
emmllerg says:
Enjoy your next vacation to Paris
Posted on: Jun 02, 2013
Corrupted Camera - Notre Dame
Corrupted Camera - Notre Dame
Paris Hotels & Accommodations review
Convenient Hotel in Paris Latin Quarter
This hotel is centrally located in the 5th Arrondissement (Latin Quarter) of Paris, quite near the Jardin des Plantes, and within a short walking dist… read entire review