Hawaii Travel Blog

So today we actually start to dive. The diving in Hawaii is a lot different from the Caribbean. There are so much more sponges and soft coral in the Caribbean. Most of the corals in Hawaii are hard coral and they didn't have as much color. There are however plenty of fish that are colorful. The water was also a little cooler, around 77 degrees. As usual I don't wear a wet suit or even a skin suit. I do however wear a long sleeved shirt. I started wearing one from another dive trip where I received a chemical burn from aviation fuel leaking out of a WWII wreck. We soon learned that the jacuzzi is great for warming up after a dive. The only problem was the man to woman ratio. So every time we jumped in the jacuzzi it was just a bunch of dudes.
The highlight of the first day of diving was the night dive with the giant manta rays. When you do a night dive you are supposed to carry two lights just in case one fails. I had two light but someone's didn't work so I gave up my spare so they could dive. As chance happens my main dive light flooded as soon as we headed for the dive site. Now I am not going to let that stop my from doing this dive. I just hovered above Rob until we go to the dive site and picked a good spot near Rob and got my camera ready. Manta rays are beautiful creatures. I just love the way they fly through the water. When it was time to head back to the boat for some reason I ended being the last person in line. I do have to tell you it can be a bit freaky being in the ocean at night. What makes it even more freaky is not having a light to see what's around you. So I just followed the lights back to the boat not really knowing if there was anything swimming with or around me. There was plenty of vis to see the other divers lights and the strobe light to mark the boat.

photo by: WorldXplorer