A wrong turn

Senieji Trakai Travel Blog

One of many religious landmarks

My goal was the castle of Trakai which I had seen on many pictures. I left Vilnius and found out that my GSP was now really built for Lithuania; it only had a map of Vilnius which was not going to help me. The castle was situated 26 km south west of the capitol.

I followed the E28 and A16 towards Trakai and soon got to a sign saying Trakai. I turned off the main road and soon found myself in some wonderful countryside. I was still sure I was on the right way but I could not see any lake with I had seen on the pictures.

I really didn’t care if I was in a wrong place because the countryside was really wonderful. What you find in Lithuania when you leave the main road is dirt roads, and I have always loved them. This because you can see how alone you are, any other car would raise a dust cloud which could be seen from far away.

One girl having fun in the sun

I stopped and took a picture of a funny religious figure consisting of a man sitting waiting on a pole! At this point I still had the belief that I was on the right way but driving even further out on the dirt road made me understand that I had to turn back.

The sun, blue sky and the scent of countryside together with wild flowers along the road was a treat you couldn’t buy for money. I just filled me with happiness and calm; this country was already getting to me in a positive way.

I was quiet happy though that I drove wrong because this was actually also what I wanted to see; the country side of Lithuania.

Chokk says:
You are so right! There is only a new possibility - thats why I dont plan my holidays that much - I only know where I might be going but not where I will be ending;)
Posted on: Aug 24, 2008
Sunflower300 says:
There are no wrong turns in life. :) You just have to realise you were meant to go this way for some reason or another. :)
Posted on: Aug 24, 2008