My First Time Skydiving!

Williamstown Travel Blog

Freefall Adventures Skydiving School

While I was home on leave from Iraq myself and seven other friends made the decision to make the big "plunge", no pun intended, and go skydiving for the first time.  We ended up going to the Freefall Adventures Skydiving School in Williamstown, NJ which is not far from Sewell, NJ.  Our scheduled time to meet up to go skydiving was at 1pm  but when we arrived there were so many other skydivers in front of us we ended up having to wait almost 3 hrs.  So while we waited for our names to be called we signed the paperwork that informed you that skydiving is a high risk sport, we watched a video informing us that we were about to go skydiving (i think all eight of us already knew that since we were there) and played dominoes to pass the time away.

The Skydiving Warning Sign

After the three hours passed the school finally called our names!  We had to split our group up because of limited space on the plane but we didn't mind because the thrill of going up outweighed all of us going together.  Prior to getting on the plane we had to do 15 minutes of training mainly telling us what we had to do once we exited the plane, how to land and being fitted for our ultra cool harnesses!  Hahahaha!  Getting on the plane was the only time I was nervous because you had the feeling in your mind about what I was about to do, jump out of a perfectly good airplane.  The plane ride took about 10 minutes to get to our jumping altitude of 13,500 feet!  While we were on the plane my instructor was attaching himself to me and giving me last minute tips prior to leaving the plane.

Waiting to Skydive
  Finally the time came and the instructors opened the door and rush of cold air blew right into the plane.  You have to remember it does get colder at higher altitudes.  I ended up being the 5th person out of the plane and surprisingly I never experienced the feeling of falling because you have no frame of reference of falling.

A lot of people have asked me the same question I asked prior to skydiving myself.  What does freefalling feel like?  Freefalling feels like your floating on a cushion of air.  It is very noisy while you are in freefall because of all the air rushing by you.  But once your chute opens it is so quiet and the view from up there was incredible!  My instructor pointed out Philly to me while we were returning to the ground which was very cool.

After I landed I received a certificate, bumper sticker and log book to use for future jumps.  And yes there will be more skydiving adventures in the future!  I also was able to see the other part of my group leave their plane which was also very cool to see.  Of course after all of us completed our first jump we had to take a group photo.  Skydiving for the first time was amazing and I can't wait to leave the plane again!

Freefall Adventures Skydiving Scho…
Freefall Adventures Skydiving Sch…
Brian and B-Lee waiting to Skydive