Cold

Stockholm Travel Blog

The Town Hall from the hotel window

I had planned for a short weekend in Stockholm together with one of my friend Jacob. It was supposed to be a very short trip; we were leaving early Saturday morning and going back the following afternoon.

I have always loved coming to Stockholm; it is one of the places I actually can call my hometown. I was born here many years ago and my grandparents lived on an island just outside Stockholm city centre called Lidingö. The Island is a very beautiful place where I spent loads of summers and I have a lot of good memories from Stockholm and surroundings.

My friend and I had just planned to walk around in the inner city and having a good night out in town.

The Town Hall
We had booked the trip since long time and we had gotten really cheap flight tickets and therefore we had booked us in on one of the 5 star hotels in the centre; the Sheraton situated just in the middle of everything.

The night before we were leaving a snow storm hit Copenhagen and most of the southern part of Scandinavia. It was the biggest to the Copenhagen that winter.

We went out to the airport knowing that more than 100 planes out of Copenhagen had been cancelled and many more delayed. We believed in our hope and were very lucky; our plane was not cancelled but it was only delayed. We felt very lucky that we had to wait just a bit more than 4 hour in the airport before we took off.

In Stockholm the weather was crystal clear and therefore very cold; it was around -10 degrees Celsius.

The Town Hall in wonderful light
We checked in to the hotel late afternoon and started to taste the Gordon dry gin we had bought the airport. It was just to celebrate that we got this far and to get the warmth back in our bodies.

We quickly ran out of tonic in the mini bar, so we called for some tonic bottles on room service. At this point we didn’t check the prices of the tonic in the mini bar but we should have done it; it was close to 8€ for 15cl tonic. With the few beers we also had the same day, we ended up with a mini bar tap of more than 100€, which was close to insane; I felt that it was very expensive I must say.

We went out to get some dinner in a good restaurant in "Gamla Stan" which is the old inner city. The city was covered in snow - not massively but enough. In the inner city the cobble stones were covered with snow and ice and we were sliding like Bambi on ice. As the bright young men we were, we had our fancy shoes with leather soles on! Don’t do it, I don’t know how many times we went down, but it was plenty.

Chokk says:
Hmmmmm.....
Posted on: Feb 25, 2010
bernard69 says:
good enough u were sober!
Posted on: Feb 25, 2010
Jacob in an important moment
Jacob in an important moment
Stockholm Hotels & Accommodations review
Smack down in the Middle
My friend Jacob and I had decided that we wanted to visit the cold and snowy Stockholm and we wanted to stay in a hotel in the middle of the city. We … read entire review