Sunrise Over the Ocean

Nags Head Travel Blog

first moments out on the beach

I have seen the sunrise over water before.  I have gone to the boardwalk several times to watch the sun over the Chesapeake Beach.  I have vague memories of the early morning near a lake.  However, I could not remember ever seeing the sun rise over the ocean, and I was excited this morning for the chance.  I had taken a guess on what time to get up since the Weather Channel had been less than helpful the night before.

I woke easily with my alarm and dressed warmly.  I briefly considered carrying my blanket with me to wrap around my body to protect against wind (hey, I'm under 100 lbs, I get chilled way too easily) but decided against it.  I trekked down the steps and along a path that I hoped would lead to the beach.

two dawn suns
  It did and I found myself in the company of about a half dozen of other early risers.

The sky was light in the east but no sun yet.  The waves kept crashing up against the beach, the only other noise the birds.  There were seagulls and other little birds.  Some crow-like ones too.  I took a few pictures, trying to catch a bird in flight, its dark form silhouetted against the dawn light.

The sun began to make an appearance.  First, a line of light rimming the irregular top edge of low clouds.  Then breaking out, a deep golden ball rising above the clouds.  I loved how its form reflected on the wet sand of the beach.

I watched for a few more minutes, reluctant to leave such a beautiful and peaceful morning.  I was surrounded by nature, warm colors of the sunrise.  Eventually though my stomach reminded me of breakfast and I turned back towards the hotel, a few backwards glances at the wakening sun.

sun glimmering over the clouds