Starting the Journey to the Beginning of Flight

Kitty Hawk Travel Blog

900+ pound fish

A three-day weekend in mid-October is too good to pass up the chance to go away for a little bit.  Wednesday I settled on NC for sure, Thursday booked the hotel.  Friday I got up around seven and was on the road by eight.  Traffic was light, and the radio kept me company along with a brief phone call from my sister.  I made a stop for gas and one at a rest stop to stretch a little.

After about five hours I was in the last part of my journey and made my first stop in North Carolina, a rest stop in Kitty Hawk.  I wanted to pick up some tourist info for the area and it advertised a memorial to a Century of Flight, so I thought it would be a good quick break.  After accidently pulling into the Home Depot (the exit lane was tricky!), I parked in the rest area near a case displaying a very large fish.

High Flight
  I found the 900+ pound beast ironic; I had just taught my Spanish III kids the phrase for to deep sea fish earlier in the week (pescar en alta mar, if you're curious).

The rest area was well-maintained, seemed to be either newer or more recently renovated.  I exited the back way and walked up a short hill to the memorial.  The poem "High Flight" marked the entrance to the path.  Up on the hill, tall silver columns formed a circle.  The columns grew in height as we traveled from the markers commemorating the early years of flight to the most recent developments in space exploration.  Years, sentences, and pictures highlighted the important events in this journey.

Done with the memorial, I continued on my way, ready to reach new national park site number three for the year.

Century of Flight Memorial