Playing Tour Guide

Harpers Ferry Travel Blog

Last summer I visited Harper\'s Ferry during the National Park Fee Free weekend.  When I talked to my parents about my visit, I could see that my dad was interested in visiting himself.  Now that we needed to meet to exchange my forgotten stuff and look at pictures, he decided this would be a good time to go.  Funny how a random day trip on my part ended up influencing a short weekend getaway.

The drive down from Hagerstown was easy and scenic.  Even though the park had been open for almost an hour by the time we arrived, parking was not a problem.  It was only a short wait for the shuttle; five minutes later we were stepping out of the vehicle and onto a street from the 19th century.

We spent more time browsing the museums on this trip than I had the previous summer.

We looked at the general story of the area, the events of the raid by John Brown, and the accounts of the battle for this important transportation point.  I made sure to have my parents walk across the bridge to the opposite side of the river, just to be over there by the remnants of the canal.

Our hike was a short one, just up to Jefferson Rock.  From here Dad and I hiked up into the cemetery at the top of the hill where we looked at gravestones that stretched over the entire town's history from its founding to just the past month.  We also walked around the Lockwood House where Storer College originated.  Mom stayed down at the bottom of the cemetery grounds and listened in on a tour guide's speech.

After the cemetery we visited the Catholic Church between Jefferson Rock and the rest of the town.  Dad loved hearing about the church's construction and history from the church member inside.  I enjoyed looking at the beautiful stained glass windows again.

My parents left after seeing the main National Park site since they had about a four hour drive home.  I, however, wanted to see a little more of the whole site, and drove around to a few more spots that had played a part in the battle for Harpers Ferry during the Civil War.  They were pretty basic, not much to see compared to the town site.

Harpers Ferry