The Meet Up

Hagerstown Travel Blog

After sending me to England and then Mexico my senior year of college, my parents finally got to go on their own significant overseas vacation: a cruise of the Baltic.  They visited 7 countries over the 2 weeks and had an amazing time.  I couldn't wait to hear about their trip (plus I had forgotten some stuff at home when I left Ohio the day after them), so I planned to go back to my hometown over Labor Day weekend.  My dad however suggested that we meet up halfway which really ended up being 2 hours closer to me when we decided on Hagerstown.

We met in the afternoon, my parents wanting to leave Ohio later in the day to give them time to sleep in and relax (they had been in Columbus for the opening Ohio State game two days earlier).  I got to the outlets--our meeting point--maybe 15 minutes before them.  We browsed through stores for about two hours.  I found a pair of sandals to replace a pair that was still in good shape but probably not for much longer...

We then headed into Hagerstown itself to find our hotel, the Econo Lodge which I had booked that afternoon.  My parents had a little difficulty; I got lucky and saw the signs pointing to the left.  After checking in and carrying our stuff inside (I definitely wanted to get my laptop out of my trunk), we piled into one car and drove down the road for dinner at Bob Evans.

Back at the hotel, we attempted to watch a football game (not the best TV screen) while I uploaded photos.  Then the real fun began.  I loved clicking through the pictures and listening to my parents talk.  They told me about the tours in the cities, how the guide explained the history, how they felt at the monuments, the friends they made that popped up in the pictures.  They described the streets, the buildings, the roads, the boats, the views.  I had wanted my parents to enjoy this trip so much and listening to them, I knew they had.

Hagerstown Hotels & Accommodations review
A Basic Hotel
When throwing together an overnight trip to the Harpers Ferry area with my parents, I was simply looking for somewhere cheap to stay in Hagerstown, ou… read entire review
photo by: Andy99