Chesapeake Bay Gateways

Upper Marlboro Travel Blog

Mt. Calvert

My small group went kayaking along the Patuxent River for about a half mile.  Then we spent some time at an archeological dig (which is not part of the Gateways system).

I had never been kayaking on a river.  In fact, my only other experience with a kayak had been in the Caribbean at a private island owned by the Disney cruise line.  I was a bit nervous starting out especially since I almost ran into a guy's fishing line to start off.  However, I got the feel of it and managed to move myself along in the right direction.  I also did not tip over; the river was very calm but I wouldn't have put it past me to have gotten a dunking.  Our only 2-person kayak did actually sink.  The craft was low to the water to start and they kept taking on water when they paddled.  They were fine, just got some swimming in.  A says she looks like a drowned rat in pictures taken afterwards.

Coming back from the dig was even easier (despite a slow forming blister on my right thumb).  I guess the current was with us.  We were able to see osprey and jumping fish throughout the journey.  When we made it back to the pull-out, I had to manuveur a bit since there were about a half dozen of us in a very little space but it all worked out!

We brought our own kayaks but it is possible to rent kayaks here at the Patuxent River Park/Jug Bay area according to our group leader.

rotorhead85 says:
It's fun kayaking with a 'mission'!
Posted on: Jul 20, 2009