AsiaChinaBeijing

Beijing Travel Blog

The Great Wall on a cold and clear day. I have never seen anything like this. Imagine the hard work building this.

The third day of our stay we were gong to visit “The Great Wall” something that I had looked forward to since I was a little boy watching old black and white movies about the emperor of China. We had bought the tickets the day before and were going to be picked up from the hotel just before midday. The trip was including two other obligatory tourist visits which I didn’t have the big feeling regarding; a visit to a pottery and a visit at a Chinese teahouse.

We were 8 people in the little tourist bus which was great because there was still good space and it gave us a possibility to talk to the others but also to our guide who’s Americanized name was “Buck”! We were a good crowed asking loads of question all the time about almost every thing we could imagine. I was truly impressive to listen to how fast this city was growing and also about the problems that they have with sandstorms covering Beijing with dust.

The Great Wall
In a typical Chinese way to fix it they ordered many of the Beijing citizens to help plant more than a million trees in order to hold on the soil.

Arriving at the wall we were all excited and curious on what was waiting us. We arrived at the foot of a mountain in the middle of a local version of the pearl market. You could get T-shirts for 1$ and much more similar things. We got our tickets and looked forward to the next step or steps if you wanted that. I passed you could save the 2€ for the ticket if you wanted • they had also stairs to the top • just over 2000 of them if you were feeling up for it.

We went in to the line • it was not long March was apparently not the big tourist month for this.

The Great Wall
We got in to a ski lift that probably had seen its best days just after the revolution but what the heck you only live once. Sitting we got a big surprise because the speakers all the way up to the top played Spanish music • the thing they played to pig parties in Mallorca in 1980th “Welcome to Paloma Blancha” it was hilarious and a totally anticlimax going up the top of this fabulous building.

The great wall is to me one of the most amazing buildings in the world. I know that Belgians say that there are only two manmade things you can see from the moon and that is this great wall and the light of the Belgian motorways but I don’t know if that last one is true:D

The Great Wall is the world's longest human-made structure, stretching over approximately 6,400 km (4,000 miles)[3] from Shanhaiguan in the east to Lop Nur in the west, along an arc that roughly delineates the southern edge of Inner Mongolia, but stretches to over 6,700 km in total.

The Great Wall
It is also the largest human-made structure ever built in terms of surface area and mass. At its peak the Ming Wall was guarded by more than one million men of whom many did die building it. It has been estimated that somewhere in the range of 2 to 3 million Chinese died as part of the centuries-long project of building the wall.

We had about 2 hours on top of the wall and walked as far as we dared in order not to miss the buss back. It was amazing to stand there • I had to call some of my friends from up there just to express my joy of watching this man made monster.

Going down there was another surprise • you could choose between going back by the stairs - 2000 steps, taking the ski lift and taking a bobsleigh down. This last thing was not my first choice • it didn’t look like it was build for people more than average china size, but I was intimidated by the chance of doing something that had to do with speed.

Making Art
My friend wanted to go so I went also. He started in front of me, he is a little light weighted guy and I am somewhat bigger. It didn’t take me more than 2 min before I had caught him and was asking him to move faster. All the way down Chinese guys was waving at me • I felt very popular until I got the message “I was apparently going too fast!!” Why do things have to be so boring?

At the bottom I bought the classic t-shirts saying that I climbed the great wall • that was a bit exaggerated. I had taken a ski lift up and a bobsleigh down.

After this fabulous stop the next was at one of these potteries that make copper plates and more with beautiful copper treads and fill these out with very colorful patterns.

Making Art
It was far more interesting than I had anticipated and I really enjoyed the stop and I bought too much stuff • of which some of it today still is packed up in the original boxes. The working conditions for the girls working in the factory was appalling and I felt ashamed, maybe that why I shopped to much.

The third stop before going back to the hotel was very close the Olympic village situated near the area where they held the Asian games. We had to visit a Chinese teahouse • I most say that the girl who was showing us all about the technique to make the perfect cop of tea had a hard time and she was doing her best, but she didn’t manage to convince us that we would switch our beloved coffee with a cop of green tea.

vances says:
Great descriptions - hope I get to take the "ski lift up and bobsled down" some day!

:^)
Posted on: Mar 05, 2010
gentry591 says:
Interesting--We are going in April--Like you I have always wanted to see it in person
Posted on: Nov 27, 2007
The Great Wall on a cold and clear…
The Great Wall on a cold and clea…
Factory
Beijing trafic
Beijing trafic
The poor tea sales woman
The poor tea sales woman
Come on - look at this bloody tea …
Come on - look at this bloody tea…
EMS transport in Beijing