Leaving Baku

Baku Travel Blog

I awoke at 6am, which is not really a bad thing as long as you did not drink a little too much and go to bed at 3am.  I still had things that I needed to pack and I guess my brain was thinking about that and decided to wake me at that time even though my alarm was set for 7.

I stumbled around my apartment in a daze partially from a hangover, partially from only getting three hours of sleep and partially because I had a lot of little things that I had to decide to keep or give away.  My bags were already full and I had to decide which books I would keep and which would be left behind.  I had more books than I thought I did and several books that I loved – stuff from Charles Bukowski and the Outlaw Bible of American Poetry –were left behind for the next tenant of my flat.  I also left behind all of my shoes except for the sandals I was wearing.  I knew I could buy what I need either in footwear in either the US or in China.

My landlady came out at 9am.  She was cool about everything as there were things that still needed to be cleaned.  I made sure to leave behind some money for cleaning and any electrical charges left unpaid.  My driver came at 9:30 and loaded my three heavy bags into his car.  And we were off.

I SMS’d almost everyone on my contact list on my cell phone with a generic message that sent en mass.  I kept repeating, “I cannot believe I am leaving” and “I am just not ready.”  Yet, still I was there with practically everything I own in a car speeding towards the Heydar Aliev Airport for what would hopefully be not my last time in Azerbaijan.

I was surprised that going through customs I was not stopped for my carpets that were in one of my heavier bags.  I think that someone called ahead of time to let them know not to mess with me.  I was stopped for my camera tripod and once they knew it was ok, they let me go.

I was flying BMI for the first time in my life.  I was charged $120 for the extra bag for as far as Chicago.  The guy at the check-in stand told me that he could not check my bags in as far as Indianapolis.  This would later prove to be a problem.

We loaded and soon we were off.

IceTea says:
It's the end of one journey and the beginning of another one. I know that feeling well. :)
Posted on: Oct 17, 2008
eejot says:
I know the feeling.. I felt it before and will feel it again... ahh
Posted on: Sep 08, 2008