Homelessness lesson part 2

Toulouse Travel Blog

a cold night out

To sleep in abandoned buildings.

'You have to decide. it's getting dark!' Daren pressed. the little overgrown house reminded me of our campspot in the riverbed in Georgia. It felt that wrong. But the sky was heavy with rain and the ground was soaking from showers gone by, so I agreed.

'I've sleept in loads of abandoned buildings in France. It's fine' And witha very professional and efficient air about him Daren set about the tasks that apparently come with it. I thought it would be most important to ensure that the ceiling wouldn't land on our head during the night and poked iyt a little. Something drizzled down from a black hole that lead up to a dark attic. i stopped poking it, realizing we were here now. Daren had already sweept the floor witrh our gathered cardboard (Homelessness lesson one in italy) and was now busy putting stuff infront of the hole that was the window towards the road.

Camping under shelter
Ceilings obviously weren't a concern... My other concern was ghost haunting the empty rooms, sitting with us and comenting on our supper.... But Daren put our tarp over the door to our room. Then we put the tent up as pr usual and I made some hot milk. Home.

France has got a lot of wandering souls. Today we meet two. Sometimes we see them in the supermarkets, like us looking at tuppaware and babyfood, trying to get warm. We see them in the busshelters avoiding showers and we see them trotting along. We always wave and smile and they always wave and smile back. So I know were never the only ones hiding out through a rainy night and there appears to be some sympathy between us all. Daren said:

'If a homeless person turns up just pretend we do this all the time.

' hm....

Ironically enough i sleept much better in the abandoned house than i did in the formula one hotel we'd sleept in the previous night. At the F1 hotel I was twisting and turning. I was too hot and daren watched the TV. In our abandoned house we just followed our nrmal rutine; Daren cooked in the doorway whilst I was reading by torchlight. In the morning as I cooked porridge I felt like the character in my book: A girl in sovjet russia in 1925 who amongst other things spends a lot of time cooking millet over a primus stove.

I have begun thinking of home and being in that little house reminded me of how hard Daren works to ensure our life is nice at home....but in the formula one hotel I was reminded of al the distractions our home will bring... No more lying next to eachother at 9 pm, reading. No more security of knowing Daren is there every night....Camping, we even go for our pees together! Our forced solitary confinement will end soon and for me it's a shame because although we never sleep in the same place twice, infact we never even know where were gonna spend the night, this is probably the time I have felt the safest and the most content.

sheltering again!!
sheltering again!!
Camping in the old house.
Camping in the old house.
Toulouse