The Second Day

Montreal Travel Blog

Well, it's my second day in Montreal!  This morning I spent working on things for my job back home.  This hostel has free internet and a nice cafe downstairs!  Very happy to learn that!

The afternoon I decided to go to a museum.  My intention was to go to the Archeology Museum by way of Chinatown and Old Town.  Well, as often happens in my travels, nothing quite works out the way I expect.

First, I did go to Chinatown (Le Quartier Chinois).  It's three blocks of China, crowded streets and all.  It was very fun.  I had some good won ton soup and bubble tea ($9) at the Noodle Factory.  There was a big screen up in a public square and they were showing the Olympics which amused me to no end.

From there, I meandered down to Notre Dame and sat down on a bench in the public square (there is nothing I enjoy more than a bit of people watching).  There, I met an older gentleman (I would put him in his 80s) by the name of Claude.  Claude apparently went to seminary at Notre Dame and offered to take me inside the cathedral.  The cathedral is beautiful!  Definitely worth a peek inside.  The entry is $5-7, but we just went in the very back part of the church, as they were about to begin mass, and did not have to pay.

After Claude and I parted ways, I walked down one of the touristy Old Town streets.  My heels were blistering from my less than practical shoes, so I stopped over in a souvenir store that looked like it might sell bandaids.  When I asked the shopkeeper, she said that there was a store (a depanneur) down the street, but to come back if I have trouble finding it because she may have some bandaids in her purse.  Such kindness!

More tomorrow!