Quebec City Travel Blog

Today I somehow successfully got out of bed at 5 a.m., and so I caught the 6 a.m. bus to Quebec City.  If you are ever in the area, you MUST go to Quebec City.  It is the only walled city in North America north of Mexico, and truly there were times when I had to remind myself that I was not in Europe, in fact I was only a few hundred miles from my own country.  I decided to take the self-guided walking tour suggested by my travel guide (Lonely Planet--don't leave home without it!).  Despite the fact that everyone you run into is a tourist (which to be honest, usually sends me running for the hills), it actually is a really interesting and fun town.  I will post pictures soon, because words just won't suffice in this instance, but trust me, it was worth getting up early and spending half the day on a bus to get here.  In the end I only spent 7 hours in the town, and in those 7 I believe I walked most the town twice and even three times in some areas.  I also was able to catch a street performer singing Quebecois Chanson, which was an experience without which I was determined not to leave Quebec.  There was even an older gentleman who spontaneously erupted into traditional dance!  Oh yes, I have pictures!  Check back with me Monday, I should have everything posted by then.
   Quebec City is also a great place to explore Inuit art.  There are several stores that sell Inuit sculptures and even a culture center centered around this style.  Sadly, I was denied entry to the culture center because with ice cream cone in hand, I apparently resemble a six year old hell bent on running around and wreaking general havoc.  How exactly ice cream will ruin stone sculptures is beyond me, and unfortunately after moving on, I did not have a chance to return to that area of town, but I did spend plenty of time looking through their windows--take that ice cream haters!

More tomorrow!