First Day

Montreal Travel Blog

It's my first day in Montreal!  I had no trouble finding my hostel, or excusez-moi, l'auberge jeunesse.  For those of you interested, its website is http://www.hihostels.ca/quebec/en/index.aspx?sortcode=2.11 and it's a very cheap place to say and well situated in the city.  Its only about a block and a half from the nearest subway station, but I've had no trouble walking everywhere.  They also have various activities planned throughout the week.  I plan to partake in the bike tour and the pub crawl.  These sorts of accommodations are essential for lone travelers such as myself!

So I took the bus from the airport to downtown.  It cost somewhere around $15 and dropped me off practically at the hostel's front door.  I did my obligatory I'm-a-single-woman-traveling-on-my-own research and asked the front desk for a map and what neighborhoods from which I should steer clear.  The young man's reaction was "No, don't worry, this is Montreal!"  I think I'm going to love this place!

After checking in and dropping off my things, I decided to trek up Mont Royal.  Oh!  And what a trek it is!  I consider myself rather fit, but I had to stop several times (to take in the scenery, of course).  Be prepared!  There is a bit of up-hill hiking along an easy-to-follow path and then there is the stairway.  I think I counted about 259 steps, but in all honesty I lost count shortly after I got to 200.  Well, it is well worth it in the end, so get your butt up there!  From the top of the mount, you get spectacular views of downtown.  Be sure to walk around the bike path once at the top, especially if you are a nature-nut like myself.  There is also a little store that sells drinks and ice cream--it's in the big building when you reach the top.

I speak French, but I have had no trouble with the supposed language barrier.  Most people I have spoken to switch to English once they hear my accent.  I start every conversation with "bonjour" and generally its English from then on out.  I've noticed with other tourists, ones who do not speak French, the Quebecois are just as generous.

More tomorrow!