First day/night in Hollywood

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Arriving in LAX

Arrived at LAX after a brief layover in Houston, not a bad airport and thankfully easy to navigate!

Waited for Phoebe to arrive, we all flew alone thanks to my own poor planning :) So i had to leave earlier for my flight and then wait for hers to arrive- won't make that mistake again!

Phoebe arrives hr later at terminal all the way across the HUGE LAX airport- takes me most of that hour to get the info on how to find her terminal and the shuttle that will take me there! The waiting area is terrible- so sparse that there is no board showing arriving flights and I end up having to sit on my suitcase thanks to a lack of furniture.

When phoebe arrives we try to figure out the directions we both printed on how to get from the airport to the Hostel by shuttle and metro

The commute's long and a little confusing at the airport since we seem like complete lost tourists trying to find the FLYAWAY shuttle to Union Station but its worth it knowing that the Hostel will compensate for the commute and the process is an adventure.

Union Station in LA

Make it to Union Station and are surprised by how nice and clean it is! The metro there is MUCH cleaner than the Washington DC one we're so familiar with. The people on the metro turn out to be more than enough entertainment with more than a few people who seem to carry on complete conversations with themselves! (But then again where aren't there people like that? haha)

We find the Hostel on Schrader St after a 5 block hike from the metro which turns out to be a long one thanks to pheobe's suitcase- which through the entire trip we think has no handle (until we make it back to LAX on our way home!) so we end up pulling it by the shoulder strap, longways the entire time.

The Hostel turns out to be even better than we had expected- it's bigger on the inside than it looks, the rooms are clean (as well as the bathroom), our roommates turn out to be SUPER nice, there is a lounge and bar in the upstairs, and sign up lists for events happening that very night.

Inside Union station
We sign up immediately for the Limo ride event and then start settling into our room. Our roommates trickle in and turn out to be from Denmark, Germany, and Australia and all of them are amazingly friendly. Phoebe and I decide to prep for our first night out and find at liquor store (Playboy liquor) down the block :) after a couple redbulls and vodkas on the hostels cozy patio we get pumped for the night!

Limo ride is amazing though I hardly remember the bars we stop at (some place in the Grove is all i remember) thanks to all the free champagne and beer thats already in the Limo. Everyone we meet who joined the ride was great- people from England, Australia, France, Ireland, Germany and of course ready to party. haha

This night ended (of course) rather embarassingly- (haha) to make a long story short: the Walk of Fame had just been hosed off and I was drunkenly running back to the Hostel and fell flat on my face (my cheek to be exact)- didn't even manage to catch myself- AT ALL! Ended up eating fried chicken on the curb, sad about how much pain i was in, and then sleeping with a cold beer can on my cheek to stop the swelling!!!

What a first night! ;D