Las Vegas With Kids

Las Vegas Travel Blog

Just spent a couple of days in Vegas for a tradeshow.  We drove up from LA with the kids (age 3 and 6).  It actually wasn't that bad. We made a stop at the outlet mall in Barstow before heading on another 2 hours into Vegas.  It was a pleasant drive, the kids occupied with food/DVD's and naps.

We stayed at the MGM Grand as it seemed to be more kid friendly and attached to the the monorail (for quick rides to the convention center).  The last time I was in Vegas, ZT was 9 months old, and we stayed at the Venetian.  A lot has changed.  You definitely see more kids, and there are more things to do with kids there.   M was busy with the World of Concrete show, so the kids and I we on our own most of the day.  They were perfectly happy to sleep in till mid morning (still jet lag from our Palau-LA flights), then go have lunch somewhere in the hotel (Rainforest Cafe one day and fast food the next).  After visiting with the Lions at the Lion Habitat (something we had to do daily)  we either walked around the shops or visited the arcade/m&m world next door.

One night we did the Tournament of Kings dinner show (horses, knights, fights, dancing) at Excalibur.  Another night we had dinner an italian restaurant at the Venetian's Canal Walk.  The last night we went shopping at the Fashion Show Mall.

Overall it was fun doing Vegas with the kids.  We would've seen more shows if the Kids could stay up longer- V the Variety Show and Cirque du Soleil's Mystere were two shows on our list.  They enjoyed the carnival atmosphere of the Arcade at Excalibur where we spent an hour playing games before Tournament of Kings.  They loved mixing their own colors of M&M's at M&M world, and of course checking out the different Lions at Lion Habitat.

The Cons would be the loud noise and the smoke in the Casino, and of course, the way things are set up you have to walk thru the Casino to get anywhere.   And of course the pictures of mostly naked girls advertising for clubs, and strip bars.  But fortunately for me, the kids didn't notice/ask. (phew!)

The room at the MGM was a bit on the smallish side for 2 queens, and the amenities a bit lacking for the price of the room, but it was comfy and relatively clean.

I believe this is the first time I went to Vegas and didn't gamble!