Sydney

Sydney Travel Blog

I had such a short time in Australia that I spent only a day in Sydney before busing north to Brisbane and flying to Alice Springs by way of Cairns.  Near Alice, I visited Ayers Rock and the Ulurus.  A long bus ride to Adelaide (where I got bit in the arse by a wombat while visiting the zoo) was followed by another to Melbourne - but here's where the adventure began.  A few hundred kilometers from Melbourne, the bus broke down, and when we finally got moving again, I had missed the only available transport back to Sydney in time to make my connecting flight back to the States.
   And I didn't have enough money left for a flight, which left me one and only one option: hitchhiking.  Little did I know that the Melbourne/Sydney road was at the time a very dangerous place to hitchhike with a serial killer prowling the highway, but fortunately I wasn't aware of this.  In over 30 hours I managed to make it all the way to the Sydney airport, litterally pulling up to the curb of the airport five minutes before my check in time.  I rode in 5 different vehicles ranging from cars to lorries, with hosts ranging from a couple on holiday to a college student, an elderly man with his grandson to a pervert that thankfully let me off after a few uncomforable miles to a truck driver that was pulling the night shift.  I had but a few dollars left in my pocket, five minutes to spare, and 30 hours of conversation rolling around my head as I walked to the check-in line.  Perfect!