An Afternoon at the Beach

Saint Leonard Travel Blog

in Visitor Center

After a frustrating morning of trying to get errands done and getting thwarted several times, I headed off to another of Maryland's state parks that I had yet to visit: Flag Ponds Nature Park.  A little ways south of the county seat and just north of the nuclear power plant, I pulled off the main road and paid my $4 entry fee (yay for being a county resident).

The Visitor Center has several display cases showing off the birds of the area and many of the fossils and shells that can be found on the beach.  (The center also has brochures, restrooms, and soda machines.)

I then set off on a downhill half mile walk to the beach.  Along the way I passed several trailheads which on another day (and with proper shoes rather than flip flops) would have been hikes ranging from less than a half mile to almost two mile hikes.

Fisherman's Shanty
  I did take a slight detour to look at the Fisherman's Shanty.  In the first half of the 20th century, this area supported a major fishing industry.  The small building on display once housed six men at a time; the living area is definitely smaller than my double dorm room while in college.  An informational sign about how the shoreline in the area has changed, how an open part of the bay has turned into a freshwater pond/swamp was very interesting to me.

A little farther down the main path, I came out of the woods and got my first view of the beach.  Soft sand littered with shells.  Blue water with low, white crested waves.  A wooden fishing pier down to the right.  I settled my beach towel in a quiet sunny spot and started reading.  Occasionally a seagull flying overhead or people either walking or splashing distracted me but overall I had my space (I think it helped that I went on a weekday).

Later in the afternoon I walked out to the edge of the hooked sand spit myself.  I enjoyed the cool water sliding over my toes but had to keep an eye for small jellyfish in the shallows, an experience I had heard about from others but had never encountered myself before.

The afternoon finished with more reading and a reluctant hike back up the hill (seemed shorter this time) to my car.

fireplace in Visitor Center