Arriving in Tanzania

Kilimanjaro Travel Blog

Deciding to go on a safari is a big commitment, especially if you live in the USA. Its a long plane ride and you are in a totally different continent. But I was ready for this. This was a dream vacation for my family and I. Truly an amazing experience, which I will share with you now.

We decided to come two nights before the actual safari started in hopes of getting used to the huge time difference, 10 hrs! We got into Kilimanjaro Airport at night and was picked up by our safari company to be taken to the hotel. Our hotel, Kigongoni, was just outside of Arusha. As you start driving through this part of Tanzania you realize there are no street lamps. It was pitch black driving to our hotel. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you. As we were driving though there was a lot of people walking along the street and hanging out in front of house and stores. It was very interesting to see as I had never seen a situation like that. Most people in the states avoid walking at night out of fear or kidnap or getting hit by a car. But for these people, it is there only mode of trasnportation most of the time.

Anyways, we rode for about one hour in dead silence, dead from all the taveling. It was dark, so there was nothing to see when we got to the lodge. We basically just settled in and went to sleep. Very uneventful.
Kilimanjaro