Oporto area July 18-20

Oporto Travel Blog

On Friday, I was off to Oporto to meet up with a friend I knew in Pittsburgh.  He is originally from the area and each summer he throws a party for about 200 of his closest friends.  Though the party has been going strong for 10 years, this was my first time in attendance.

So after a disappointing flight from Barcelona on RyanAir (I was 3kg over on my luggage and got to pay an extra 45Euros for the flight---Hey, I was packing for 3.5 weeks!), I arrived in Oporto and was met by my friend, “T” and one of his friends, “M”.  (I never asked permission from them to post this, so we will go with aliases)  I was staying at “M”’s apartment that evening, so we dropped my things off and then went out for a quick beer before dinner.  I really wish I could remember the name of the café we went to, as it was fantastic.  Right on the water…big, comfortable sofas….cheap beer….good DJ….the place was perfect.

After a shower, we were off to meet the rest of the group for dinner at D’Oliva in Matosinhos.  We had a group of 12 people and our reservation was for 11:30pm (and yes, this was officially the latest I had eaten on my whole trip.)  The group was about half Portuguese and half international (American, British, Sweedish) and the conversation was lively.  Our host, helped choose a few traditional Portuguese items for us to try, despite the fact that the fare was mostly Italian and Mediterranean.  The meal was fantastic, especially when paired with some great Portuguese wines.

After this we went to a small but very popular bar area in Oporto.  Again, I don’t remember the name, but there were a few bars right in a row on the street, but the bars were mostly empty because everyone was outside in the street drinking, where it was so packed you really couldn’t move.  We ended the night around 4am (early according to some of the locals), in order to rest up for the party the next night.

Oporto