Mardi Gras Party

Vilar de Mouros Travel Blog

On Saturday, I traveled up the coast to spend the day on the beach near Caminha.  No wait, let me correct that and say afternoon….it is Portugal after all.  The beach was beautiful with sparkling coarse sand that made it look like scattered diamonds in the sunlight.  The day was pretty warm and the bright Portuguese sun made me think a dip in the water would be refreshing.  I was in for a big surprise when I stepped in the water as it was absolutely freezing.  Now, given that there were plenty of people happily frolicking in the surf, I am willing to admit that it might have simply been that I was in the Mediterranean only days before, but I couldn’t get farther then my knees.

At about 6pm, we headed over to my friend’s house where the party was being held.  The village was tiny and absolutely adorable.  The party was being held by a Portuguese friend of mine at his family’s weekend house.  The house was huge (something like 6 bedrooms), but quaint and beautiful.  The yard was filled with stone wells and fruit trees.  Basically it looked like something out of a movie.  My friend hosts this party every year, and this year’s theme was Mardi Gras.  As one of the three Americans at the party, I was put in charge of handing out beads.   After the sun went down, people started filtering in.  The large stone well was filled with beer and soft drinks.  The smell of the roast pig wafted through the air and the DJ began to spin.  The crowd was mostly Portuguese, with the rare foreigner.  People quickly started to enjoy themselves and the bead exchange began.  I won’t go into too many details to protect the innocent, but the party didn’t end until people had to be kicked out at 7am, and I would say that everyone definitely enjoyed themselves.

Vilar de Mouros