Barcelona, Day 1: Park Güell

Barcelona Travel Blog

Hill from Lesseps station to Parc Guell

I got to Barcelona in the early afternoon and headed over to the train station.  I bought a T-10 pass for the metro (definitely worth it) and took the train into the city.  My first move was to check into the Chic and Basic Tallers.  I was immediately impressed with the hotel, where I was shown to my adorable, comfortable room and told to feel free to come back down and make myself an afternoon snack.

I decided my first excursion would be to Park Güell, so off I went on the green line to the Lesseps station.  My guidebook had suggested this route; though it never mentioned the hill I had to hike up to get to the park.  It is only approximately 200m, but it directly uphill, with only portions of it with stairs or escalators.

Parc Güell
 Honestly, I had to stop halfway up the hill to buy a bottle of water.  I later found out that there is a bus that runs from Plaza Catalunya to the entrance of the park.  But, I digress.

The park was beyond my expectations.  I think the best descriptor is the word “enchanting”.  The terraced plaza area was packed full of people reclining on the iconic serpentine mosaic benches.  I was breathless while wandering the columns below the terrace, marveling at the uniqueness of each mosaic.  The front entrance’s whimsical appearance gave the area a welcoming and fun atmosphere.  My favorite part was probably the arched pathways.  There was just something about the shapes and shadowing that was utterly sensual and romantic.

I also visited the Gaudi museum in the park.  (see review)

Needless, to say, I went back to my hotel completely exhausted.  Luckily, I had a fantastic, comfy bed to fall into.

Hill from Lesseps station to Parc …
Hill from Lesseps station to Parc…
view from Parc Güell
view from Parc Güell
mosaics at Parc Güell
mosaics at Parc Güell
Barcelona Sights & Attractions review
Interesting addition to a Barcelona Gaudí tour
The Casa Museu Gaudí is located inside the Parc Guell grounds, and was Gaudí’s home for 20 years. The museum contains mostly furniture designed b… read entire review
Barcelona Hostels review
Unique and comfortable lodging in prime Barcelona location
I cannot possibly say enough good things about the Chic and Basic Tallers Hostal. The rooms are modern and stylish with clean design. The area is sm… read entire review
Barcelona