One week in

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Well it´s been almost one week since I got here and it´s great....have been busy with spanish classes and volunteering which is now in full´s great by the way. A few days of the week I work with a teenager who lives at an orphange and wants to become a translator and has been teaching himself English by reading the lyrics of songs from his favourite rock bands...brilliant! The other days I work with 8-10 year olds who are mega hyper and very smart in a school next to the orphanage.  It´s not in the centre of town so feel like a bit of a local when I´m making my way there and back. Am using the subte...the subway here....I thought the central line was bad in the mornings! The line I take in the morning is mental though it´s not so bad the rest of the day. Public transportation is so´s like 20p for a tube journey...they´ve got this credit card type thing that works like an oyster. I also take one line which was the first in South America and has wooden´s so cool....a little factoid...will try and take some pics without being a nerdy tourist.

So I had a tango lesson on Thursday....amazing! I´ve got two left feet when it comes to being told where to move and when but it was amazing. Everyone bar me and another girl from school were locals of all different ages so it felt really traditional and I may go back for more lessons next week.  Also went to an area called La Boca which is quite touristy....ended up meeting a guy from Birmingham! I had my first proper steak yesterday! My ´host mother´is a vegetarian! She makes meat dishes however so it´s all good! Back to the so good...a place called La Cabrera, apparently one of the best steak places in town...the portions are ginormous. And all that for a tenner!! We went to a bar after and then to a club which was ok (repetitive house music!), didn´t get going until 2-3 in the morning. Met some girls who offer shoe shopping tours...where do I sign up?!

Unfortunately couldn´t go to Uruguay today as all fully booked on the ferry and it´s a national holiday on Monday : ( There´s always next weekend though. And also hoping to catch a local football match at some point.  It´s Saturday today and all the shops are closed for some reason: (  Boo hoo...

charleybarley says:
ooohh also, i was wondering, but forgot to ask in the comment before... do you know any good/cheap airlines to travel with? most of the flights im searching for are so expensive :9
Thanks again! x
Posted on: Mar 05, 2011
charleybarley says:
Hi there, your trip sounds awesome! Im planning to go to Buenso Aires this november with my boyfriend Sky, we have been trying to find volunteer work around that area for ages now, your experience sounds so lovely, i really would find it great to work with children and have been looking into host families.
I know it was ages ago... but was wondering if you could possibly give any information about volunteering? Like the places you volunteered at and how you found out about the different projects..?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Charleybarley x