Yo ho! Yo ho! A pirates life for me!

Monrovia Travel Blog

What happens when you're waiting for your surgeon to arrive

Avast ye Maties!  Argh!  Listen up or you'll be walkin' the plank!

Ok, so the week has flown by.  Work has been anything but, we've been having too much fun to call it work.  Had a good crew in OR 6 this week, from different parts of the world, an Austrailian, a Brit, Canadan, South African and American.  Adds to some interesting conversations and some debates on how things should be called (not everything has to be called a trolley!)  Our 2 VVF surgeons left this week, along with 3 anesthesiologists and 2 nurses.  My roommate, Dany, from Switzerland left today.  We had a party for her last night up on deck 7.  Well, she had a party for herself and invited all of us... she made us swis apple cake, chocolate bread, chocolate cake and swis chocolate (she didn't make that, but brought it).

Doing hand surgery with Dr. Tertius
  The entire OR was there and a lot of others passed by.  Met our new general surgeon and a couple new anesthesiologists.

Yesterday (saturday)  I went to an orphanage in the morning.  It was a lovely place, ran by a nice couple with 3 kids of their own.  There were about 30 kids there ages 5-15, very well behaved.  They sang for us, some of these little ones have beautiful voices and can really get into it!  We did a quick Bible study with them in return, the story of Creation and then played with Play Doh to show how we can create this as well.  Each kid was given a container of play doh and then had to trade for different colors.  Lots of fun watching them use their imagination to make everything from colorful snakes to elephants and flowers.

With some of the kids from the orphanage
  Spent the rest of the morning playing with the kids.  Soccer is always a favorite with the boys and we brought jump ropes and bubbles that were a big hit.  All too soon we had to leave.  I hope I can go back soon, I want to go next weekend, but I'm on call, maybe I can find someone to trade with me.

In the afternoon yesterday I took a group to Dawala market, a very busy market a little ways from the ship.  There was 6 girls going and it took us awhile to flag down a taxis empty enough and going in the right direction, we haven't quite figured out the different hand signals for the taxis yet.  Fortunately someone finally took pity on us and drove us to the market.  we had 5 people in the backseat, with one laying across our laps!  The market was fun, we were on a mission to buy lapas (fabric- one lapa = 1.

The orphanage
7 yards)  They run roughly 150 LD or $2.50 per lapa.  Some interesting choices this year.  This is the type of market were you can buy anything you can imagine.  Underware, flour, cellphones, bowls, dead monkeys, live monkeys, fake hair, you name it, you can buy it!  It was hot and very overwhelming weaving our way through the stalls so we only stayed about an hour.  Flagged down another taxis, caused a big traffic jam and made it back to the port in one piece.  Walked across the road to the tailor's and put in our orders.  Back to the ship to cool off and relax.

Today, went to a local church service, Bethal Methodist.  A very lively, loud congregation.  It wasn't a typical Sunday from what I've been told, it was a praise and worship fundraiser for new band equipment.

Dany's going away party
  So the first part was the typical African church service, lots of dancing and singing, 2 offerings and a long sermon.  We were given candies pinned to our shirts, not sure for what, but I was told thats what they do there.  After the sermon they started the fundraiser, the brought the kids chior in and had them sing a bit and then stop, we were told if we wanted to hear more we (the congregation) had to bring up so much money.  It was loud, hot and almost overwhelming, but we laughed, danced and clapped along with the group.  Had to leave early cause our car was the car that Dany, my roommate, was taking to the airport and so we had to get back so she could leave.

Even though I had to say goodbye to one of my friends, another friend arrived today!  My fellow Denverite, Laura, arrived this evening.

Avast ye maties!
  Erika and I thought it would be only appropriate to welcome her.  So we dressed up like pirates and surrounded her car, taking her hostage and walking her up the gangway! It was a blast, everyone thought it was hilarious!  I think we did embarrass Alison, our OR supervisor, who was giving a tour to the new OR crew, oops.

mattkurtz says:
Looks like you pirates are a wee bit bored, mate, and need a bounty to hunt! Aye, someone needs to walk the plank! Does the treasure look chocolate brown and taste sweet? Matt
Posted on: Sep 28, 2008
What happens when youre waiting f…
What happens when you're waiting …
Doing hand surgery with Dr. Tertius
With some of the kids from the orp…
With some of the kids from the or…
Danys going away party