Weekend excitement

Monrovia Travel Blog

My little monkeys

I know what you are thinking, 2 entries in a matter of days?!?  But there's been a lot happening.

The good news, laundry is open again, one load per person per week.  Luckily I wear scrubs most of the day, cuts back on laundry.

Saturday was a very busy.  Had a blast at the orphanage, played games and hung out with the kids.  Since we go to the same one every week, the kids know us very well.  Some of our regulars are leaving this next week and so the kids were very sad when they heard that Miss Tracy and Grandma Wendy were leaving.  Since we've been coming to this orphanage, a lot of progress has been done.  They are in the process of building latrines- they are almost finished, very nice cement stalls with a large cement pit underneath.

Jumpy rope is a favorite
  They are also clearing the land around the compound to make ready for a garden so they can grow their own food.  They are trying to get a well dug, but they have reached the point where they need a pump to pump out the water so they can continue digging, but the pump is very expensive.  These kids are super well behaved and Emmanuel and Evelyn (the parents) try their best to care for all these children.  They are truly amazing.

After the orphanage, took a group to the craft market and the grocery store.  Bought a lot of fun stuff- the grocery store is simular to ones back home, only very expensive.  I spent $15 on supplies to make a casserole (my dutch friend thought it was very interesting and wanted to watch the entire process cause she has never had a casserole before).

The group at the Bambo Bar
  It was the best casserole I've had in a long time, I still have left overs in the fridge.  Ended the night going out on the town to the Bambo Bar, a nice bar/restraunt with live music and good food.  We had a blast dancing and even got to enjoy a wonderful Liberian thunderstorm.  The bar is on the top of a 4 story building with open sides to allow the breeze to come in.  We had been watching a nice lightning show when all of a sudden there was a loud clap of thunder and the heavens just opened.  It was amazing, just when you thought it couldn't rain any harder, it would increase.  Soon every noise was drowned out (no pun intended) by the sound of rain.  Luckily it stopped raining by the time we wanted to leave.
Leaving the village

Today I went with 5 other people on a little adventure.  We went to what Mercy Shippers call, Monkey Island.  Its really a beach in a town called Marshalltown, about an hour's drive from the ship down a long muddy road.  Its where a large river meets the ocean, causing fresh and salt water to mix.  The river's current and the ocean's tide cause some fun waves.  Its called Monkey Island because in the middle of the river is an island full of chimps released from research facilities.  No one is allowed on the island, but you can drive by on a boat, if you are lucky to find a boat.  We weren't able to find a boat to take us across.  We had a blast on the beach.  The water was perfect, very clear and warm.

The adventurers
  The waves weren't big and it was shallow for a long ways.  We were joined by some of the local boys and spent the afternoon swimming and playing.  We had diving contests and races, we cut a pineapple with a pocket knife.  Who needed to see monkeys, when we had a beach like this.  It was by far the best beach I've been to in Liberia.

We all know that Mercy Ships has a high turn over rate.  Every day someone is leaving and someone is arriving.  It is hard to make friends when you are always having to say goodbye.  This weekend I have to say goodbye to one of my friends, Tracy from South Africa, she's leaving tomorrow afternoon.  She is leaving me a whole 3 weeks early cause she "supposedly" has a job interview back home.  She's been here longer than I have.  This weekend was basically all about her.  She's one of the regulars to the orphanage, I baked her a casserole, going out last night was for her and she's the one that organized Monkey Island today, plus we had another get together on the dock after worship tonight, I baked cupcakes.  We are sad that she is leaving, but the end is near and the ratio of those leaving and those coming are going to change with a lot more leaving than coming.

Such is life here on the Africa Mercy.

The boys show off their coloring