Shift work and Golden Beaches

Monrovia Travel Blog

A look at my back table

This week has just flown by, and I know its not the weekend yet, but I thought you might like a midweek update.  Its been a week of ups and downs, luckily mostly ups.  We had a death on board yesterday.  A little 6 week old baby came in at the beginning of the week because they thought he might need surgery.  He was a twin who just wasn't thriving, he's twin was doing ok, but something was wrong with him.  He ended up not needing the OR, so I never saw him, but from what I was told, he was very very sick.  He was put on the vent and later that day he ended up passing.  It was really sad.  When something bad like that happens, or if a patient isn't doing too well they have an overhead page asking for prayers.

I try my hand at suturing the scalp
  Everyone drops what they are doing and sends up a short prayer for whatever is going on.  We gave our support as best we could to the family.  Unfortunately, the infant mortality rate is very high here, I don't know the actual number, but death is very common.

Ok, sorry I started off this entry on such a sad note.  Change of pace, life does go on.  Normally we don't do shifts in the OR, everybody works 8-whenever we get done.  But since we had so many nurses and only 2 rooms, our supervisor decided to split us up, 4 in the mornings and 4 in the afternoon.  We booked super long cases in the 2 rooms and often this week worked until after 7pm.  Monday and Tuesday, I was on the evening shift, 12-whenever we got done.

Our monster cupcakes!
  Super nice, I loved it.  I got to sleep in in the morning, wake up slowly, run to the market, whatever I needed to get done I could.  Then after lunch, it was off to work.  Having only 2 nurses in the room made things easier and less stressful.  I got to scrub quite a bit and even got to try my hand at suturing- its not as easy as it looks!  We did a 4-5 hour case every afternoon, often ended after supper.  Luckily, I've got friends up in the cafeteria who saves some plates for me (thanks Marylou!!).  Wednesday, I was switched to the morning shift.  Ugh!  It was so hard getting up at 7, especially when my roommate, Selina, has the day off.  But once I get to work its not so bad, I only have to work until 1230.
Cupcake assembly line
  Then I have the rest of the afternoon off.  Yesterday I baked, but I'll go into more about that in a bit.

So Tuesday, Glenys- one of my coworkers, comes into my room while I'm scrubbed and says I have a rather large package and 3 letters waiting for me.  I knew my mommy was sending me a box of stuff I had left home, but I wasn't sure what the other stuff was.  To my suprise, it was a REALLY large box full of all sorts of goodies: candies, chips, crackers, pictures, a newspaper.  Everyone said it was the best package ever!  The 3 letters were from my grandparents who sent me mail they thought I'd be interesting in seeing, including 3 magazines.  One of those magazines was a recipie magazine that I get.

The birthday party
  I thought, oh great, all I'm gonna be able to do is look at the pictures and druel over all the yummy looking food.  But no!  I found an easy cookie recipie that had ingredients I can buy here on the ship!  So thats what I did.  Yesterday, I gathered up all the supplies (begging for peanut butter from the pastry chef) and headed up to the crew galley.  It was a nice recipie, when I brought them to work this morning, everyone liked them (they were chocolate peanut putter with chocolate frosting on top).

Not long after I finished the cookies I got recruited to help bake cupcakes for a friend's birthday.  We made 38 cupcakes- some double chocolate, some chocolate raspberry and some chocolate marshmellow.

Playing in the waves
  It was crazy!  We had chocolate all over the place!  But it was so yummy.  We ran out of time to frost them last night so we frosted them today.  I got off work at noon again and 4 of us created a cupcake decorating assembly line.  Our goal was no two cupcakes a like.  We were in a hurry cause at 3:30 today we had a fire drill.

We have fire drills ever other week, normally I'm working during them so I end up ignoring them.  Today was different cause I wasn't at work.  The fire drills are actual training times for our fire crews.  Everyone has to muster (gather) out on the dock or at specific locations aboard ship.  We do a head count and if you're not there, they overhead page you until you show up.

Enjoying our cupcakes before dinner
  The captian creates a senario, where the fire is at, how many causalities, how fast the fire is spreading, etc.  They use smoke machines to simulate an actual fire.  The whole thing takes about an hour to complete.  I suppose its good to know what to do in an actual emergency, but it disrupts your day.

Tonight was our birthday dinner out on the town.  It was 3 people's birthday this week, so we decided to we needed to celebrate.  That was what the cupcakes were for.  We all got dressed up and 25 of us headed into town to a nice restraunt called Golden Beach.  Its a very tropical feeling place right on the beach, with a mix of sand and cement floors, its more like shelters over the tables than an actual roof.

With 2 of my roommates- Selina & Amy
  We all gathered around a long table, placed our orders and then went out to the beach to enjoy the waves and cool breeze.  It was fun trying not to get too wet.  Supper was yummy, had steak and french fries.  It has been raining most of the day and it rained quite a bit while we ate, but we didn't care.  A little late getting back to the ship, we missed the beginning of the community worship time, so that meant no seats in the international lounge, so I'm sitting out in the midship lounge watching the worship on the tv.  The good news is that I'll be first in line for the ice cream social that follows worship.  I think I'm offically sugared out!

Enjoying our cupcakes before dinner
With 2 of my roommates- Selina & A…
With 2 of my roommates- Selina & …
Monrovia