Eyes & Birthdays

Monrovia Travel Blog

Working hard in the eye room

I am an eye nurse, or I was this week.  I got the opportunity to work in the eye rooms, scrubbing cataracts (where we take the old foggy lens of the eye out and put a new one in) and pterygiums (where skin starts to grow over the iris and blocks site- so we remove it).  Its a fast pace environment.  Our room is set up with two beds placed head to head, with the microscope in the middle.  While one patient is being worked on, another patient is getting numbed and ready, than the surgeon rotates the microscope, changes gloves and gown and works on the other one.  A eye case usually takes about 20 minutes.  Glenys, our fiesty eye speicalist, who runs the eye rooms and keeps things running smoothly, was out sick on Wednesday and Thursday.

Face painting
  That was an interesting time.  It was my very first time doing eyes, and all of a sudden I'm not only scrubbing one case at a time, but now I'm circulating (running the room) for 2 cases at the same time.  Theres a lot to know that are specific to eyes and then you have to keep your 2 patients straight.  Ugh!  Luckily, our translators have been doing this for awhile and knew the routine, we joked that we weren't even needed, Roslyn, Hawa & Anthony could do everything!

All our eyes are done as outpatients, so we fix one eye and they come back the next day to have a post op visit.  Because they have to come back the next day for a check up, we don't do eyes on Fridays.

Fast forward to Saturday.

The OR Queens
  Went to my orphanage this morning.  My kids were happy to see us.  I literally couldn't get out of the car cause all the kids flock around and try to get as close to you as they could.  The kids are so cute, they sang us songs and put on a nice program with us every week.  Usually we follow with a Bible story or lesson and crafts, but this time we had a field day.  We had 4 different stations, the favorite was the parachute, but we also did face painting and other games.  We had a blast, and so did the kids.

Today was a special day on the ship.  We celebrated Mercy Ship's 30th anniversary.  The afternoon was filled with games.  We had teams of 6 (my team was the OR Queens)  and we had 10 different stations all over the dock and ship.

Our favorite challange- the mop challange
  Silly games like bean bag toss, waterballoon toss, memory games, darts, basketball (which we are conviced was rigged).  Our favorite was the mop challange- where you had to dunk a mop head in water and pass it down the line and ring it out- we dominated that game!  In fact we didn't do too bad.  Out of 20 teams we scored the 2nd highest!  Competition was tough, but we came out on top- or close to it.  The evening was full of fellowship out on the dock with a BBQ and soon we'll be having cake (my 5th cake this week- there's been a lot of birthdays and Erika tends to randomingly make cake quite a bit).  Good thing I like cake.

The OR Queens
Our favorite challange- the mop ch…
Our favorite challange- the mop c…
Erika scrubbing a pterygium
Blowing up his muscles
Blowing up his muscles
Ali at the bean bag toss
Ali at the bean bag toss
The Queens take 2nd place!
The Queens take 2nd place!
BBQ on the dock