The End

Denver Travel Blog

Home with the family

Home.  Thats where I am.  But it feels different, not quite right.  Its too quiet, too empty, too still.  I feel like I'm in another world, another life.  I know it'll take me some time to adjust, but I don't know if I really want to.

All I can say is thank God for flight delays.  My flight from Germany was 45 minutes late landing- and I was only going to have 90 minutes to get through customs, recheck my bag and change terminals if things were on time.  As it was, I only had 45 minutes and the line at immigration took 30 minutes.  I truly thought I had missed my flight and I would be stuck in Chicago, that was not a happy thought.  But, God was watching out for me and knew that one weary traveler needed to get home ASAP, so He made sure that my flight was delayed 45 minutes.

Christmas in Colorado
  I don't think I was ever so happy to see a flight delay!  I was truly blessed, because flights left and right were being cancelled.  It was snowing in Chicago and Denver, not sure what to make of the white stuff falling from the sky.

My parents met me a the airport, they drove in from Iowa on Monday for Christmas.  (Yeah Mom for bringing me a winter jacket!)  They drove me to my apartment, helped me drag my bags up the stairs and said goodnight.  I was alone.  For the first time in 5 months, I was completely alone.  The stillness is overwhelming.  Up until this point, I was never more than 3 feet from someone.  There was no place on the ship where you could be truly alone or completely silent.  I never thought I would miss that.

So this is the end of my blog for 2008.  God willing I will return to Liberia and to Mercy Ships.  Words cannot describe everything that I have experienced and I'm not that good of a writer to even give it justice, but I tried to give you some idea of what life is like on The Africa Mercy.  Thank you for reading and I hoped you enjoyed it.  Thank you for all your support and prayers, they meant a lot.

FYI: in 2009, the ship will be in Benin.

Merry Christmas