Pompeii Travel Blog

Finally, arrived in Naples!  As we departed the ship very early for our morning excursion to Pompeii, the weather was awful.  This storm we were keeping up with left behind some incredible fog and gloom.  The island of Capri was not visible nor was Mt. Vesuvius most of the day.  I am glad we didn't pay the extra for the excursions to Amalfi and Capri as everyone said when they got back it was really a waste because visibility was so bad.

Pompeii was somewhere I've always wanted to visit and I figured if I ever get back to Naples, then I will visit Capri.  We obviously couldn't do both since Amalfi and Capri was an all day trip.

There are no words to describe Pompeii, especially the remains preserved in volcanic ash.  The facial expressions of those bodies were horrible.  It is something I will never forget.  Sadly, because our tour was only a half day, we did not get to see all of Pompeii, so looks like if I head back to Naples, it will need to be more than a one day adventure so I can finish off Pompeii and do the Amalfi Coast!

22 km (14 miles) traveled