AsiaChinaXi'an

Xi'an

Xi'an Travel Blog

The day began stupidly early as we were awoken well before 0500 as the train arrived in Xi’an β€“ I managed to leave my camera on the train as it had rolled under my bed but I manage to dart back and still find it there β€“ as the train had not moved off. We got on to the bus (the bus driver apparently has seen the group but ignored them all β€“ but we got to the hotel nether the less, but our rooms were not ready so we ended up walking round an empty Xi’an at 6 in the morning to deserted streets and lots of old people doing exercise in the parks. We then went to the Muslim quarter to have breakfast β€“ a sort of incredibly thick cabbage and potato soup with bread and meatball β€“ nobody successfully managed to eat any of theirs.

We then went for a bit of a wander into the Drum Tower the iconic tower in the centre of all the city where we aw a performance with lots of crashing and bashing on cymbals and drums and then to the Bell Tower where we saw lots of bells (funnily enough) and another performance with bells and other interesting instruments. Finally we had a quick lunch before getting into our hotel rooms. after getting read we went down to the south Gate on the wall and got up to the top where we hired some bikes and made the 14 km ride round the entire gates. The rent was exactly 100 minutes and the ride took that long alas so not much time to look at stuff properly but the view we pretty impressive. For dinner we went with our guide and a few of her friends to this barbeque place in he Muslim quater, which has some interesting dishes in which some/none/all where pretty inedible.

Xi'an