AsiaLaosPakbeng

Trip down the River

Pakbeng Travel Blog

Another redicolous early start and then down to the river, with our new guide Vien nd onto a boat travelling down the Meekong. Lots of rolling country sides and many deserted areas - most likeley the landmines keeping people away.  After a few hours we stopped at one of the larger Lation villages Ba Houy Pha Lam. The people were lying around most of the time as there there is little too do in the dry season, but they were just as intrested in us as we were in them. Back onto the boat and carryign on fruther downstream and having lunch on the boat. Eventually we got to a sleepy little town of Pakbeng where al these hundreds if porters swarmed our boat and offered to take us our backpacks up the hotel. On chap took mine and I gave him a bit and he wanted more so, I succumbed nad gave hm more. We went for a walk and saw the town market and the town, hundreds of inidian restrauant - apparently 7 years ago there were no brick buildings here. Vien showed us around the local “sights” and then we went to a local restaurant and I had larp and sticky rice a Laotian dish. We got back to the guest house and the owner invited us round next door for a party where we encoruaged to dance and have glasses of Lao Lao - rice whisky. Got back to my room and as is nornal the electricity waas turned off.

Pakbeng