Running on Fumes

Sligachan Travel Blog

I wanted an early start because I wished to fit in a short scramble if possible, however the weather and the time conspired against me, there really wasn’t anywhere which I would be able to complete in less than a few hours even in decent conditions. Therefore it was time to get on the road and head back to Wilmslow.

As you may have guessed driving isn’t my greatest joy, but the roads from the Highlands were relatively quiet and actually not too bad to drive on.  I made pretty good time again despite the onboard computer again testing my resolve as far as refuelling.  It became a bit of a game to see if I could make it to the next petrol station without putting any fuel in, and then pushing on to one more station once more.  At one point it was actually reading I was unable to travel even one more mile and the nearest town was over ten, which petrol prices as they currently are running on fumes might just catch on.  It made the whole journey so much more entertaining!

I decided to make a detour into the Ambleside in the Lake District as I was likely to be back in Wilmslow in plenty of time to pick my friend up from the airport.  This turned out to be a really expensive detour, as I dropped into the Gaynor’s outlet store on the lookout for a full length Thermarest.  Forty five minutes later I left the shop with two goretex jackets, a down one and several hundred pounds lighter.................... in the wallet that is!  I reconciled myself to this by repeatedly telling myself they’d been discounted by fifty percent, so I’d actually saved that money!  My favourite eatery in Ambleside; The Apple Pie  was just closing so I found a cosy little Italian restaurant nearby and had a great seafood risotto followed by tiramisu, and I was fully refreshed to continue on my way home.

photo by: highlandmist