Rain. rain and well more rain!

Kyle of Lochalsch Travel Blog

Castle at Dornie.
The main aim of this trip had been to get some walking and scrambling done, but the weather was on the change so things didn't look too promising.  I decided to spend the next day around Kyle of Lochalsch.  I was pretty shocked to find there isn't a campsite local to the town, so had to find a quiet spot near the loch out of sight to pitch my tent, at least there wasn't anybody around to witness my ground testing skills today!

I returned to the town for something to eat, at least the chippy was open here, I ordered deep fried haggis and chips, which isn't quite the same as the normal haggis, neeps and tatties i assure you, but edible.  I found a pleasant little bar, and had a couple of Guiness with a couple of guys who were touring on motorbikes, then retired to the tent to listen to the rain falling for awhile, before eventually drifting of to sleep to dream of sunny skies, amazing traverses, the odd otter pottering about, or was it a haggis?

After an early start, and a brief respite in the rain, I went to the public toilets in the town centre where I knew I could get a shower for about a pound or so.
No not another castle, Eilean Donan Castle again!
  The toilets were amazing ................ never thought I'd ever hear myself say that!  The walls were decorated with allsorts of things, local information, the affiliated Regiment, various tartan, it's history and the awards it has received.  The only slight problem was that the pound only paid for fifteen minutes, which barely gave me time to brush my teeth and scrub between my toes, but the attendant kept checking the door every few moments once the allotted time was up, even though there wasn't anybody else waiting to use the shower, I think the term you're looking for is job's worth!

After getting a bite to eat in a local cafe, I visited the Tourist Information Office and decided to book myself on a trip on a glass-bottomed boat out of the harbour which promised a chance to see some otters.  The trip was ok, didn't get to see any wild otters, but a few seals and seabirds, the local guy who did a sort of running narrative had a bit of a sense of humour and made it interesting, but the glass bottom was a bit wasted, apart from some kelp I only managed to spot one starfish on the whole trip, not exactly teeming with things to see.

The weather still wasn't very promising so I decided to make a change to my plans and went across to Dornie and the Eilean Donan Castle, after a short detour to a little outdoor shop along the way for some absolutely essential purchases (actually it was because I really needed to mossie repellent for Skye).  The castle is quite cool, and is an iconic sort of picturesque castle which appears in plenty of literature published about Scotland.

It had rained on and off for the majority of the day and after this little excursion I took the high road (yeah it does actually exist) which winds it's way over the local hills to the little village of Applecross.

Real_PeaceWarrior says:
The west coast of Scotland, including the Highlands and Islands ......... you'll have a great time, but trust me if you get chance make the detaour across to the Applecross Inn, you won't be disappointed!
Posted on: Sep 13, 2008
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
Yes I did, definately the highlight of the trip. Always scrubbing between my toes, but actually prefer a loofah!
Posted on: Aug 20, 2008
TYoungTX says:
Nice blog. You have a very readable and entertaining style of writing.
Posted on: Aug 10, 2008
Castle at Dornie.
No not another castle, Eilean Dona…
No not another castle, Eilean Don…
Kyle of Lochalsch