Day 2 - McKinney Falls State Park

Austin Travel Blog

Today is HOT - high today was 108 degrees Fahrenheit

We woke up at about 8:30 and ate breakfast.  Gary prepared French toast with cinnamon sugar on the cook stove – yum!  We also ate grapes.  I drank a Hillside Mocha Latte (it comes in a self-heating container) – it was good.

Once we finished cleaning our dishes and getting dressed, we took a 3.7-mile hike on the Homestead Trail.  It is an intermediate trail over limestone rock and the woods.  Along the way, we saw the McKinney House and an old Grist Mill.

When we got back, we ate sandwiches for lunch.  A cardinal was playing in the site across from ours.  We lounged for the rest of the day.  It was too hot to do anything else.  We stayed cool using ice water (drinking it and dipping cloths in it).  Swimming is not allowed in the creek.

It finally got so hot that we decided to take a trip to Wal-Mart again.  This time we bought fans and mister bottles.

On the way back to the park, we saw two deer and two squirrels.

Gary went up to the office to get ice.  On his way back to the site, he saw another deer family.  This time there was a baby with them.

We ate a delicious dinner, which Gary cooked using our camp grill and cook stove, of steak and squash.  We love to have wine with our steak, but alcohol is not permitted inside the park.

While we were setting up our lamps, so we could see better, Gary saw a squirrel hanging in a branch just over his head.

While I was washing dishes, I was able to see the sun set behind the trees.

It was a bit cooler this night.  We were able to stay cool by using our fans, opening the windows, using iced clothes, and drinking lots of water… we stayed out of our sleeping bags for most of the night.  At about 3 or 4 am, I covered up because I was getting a bit chilly.

Medical Report:  Gary scratched his leg (somehow).  L

Camp Report: There was almost no one in the camp – only about six sites being used including ours.  We were near the restrooms and the dumpster.  The restroom included a shower, but the water pressure was really down – maybe due to the drought.

photo by: cabotono