Day 1 - Driving to McKinney Falls State Park

Austin Travel Blog

Today is HOT - high today was 108 degrees Fahrenheit

We left home with Sara for McKinney Falls State Park at 12:30 pm.  We had to stop at Wal-Mart along the way to get our picnic table tent fly, tent, and air mattress with pump.  We could not find our other ones.

Since we would be camping, we took all of our food / drinks with us and munched along the way.

Once we got to the park, we checked in (rather quickly), and set up our campsite.

We ate a delicious dinner, which Gary cooked using our camp grill and cook stove, of salmon, asparagus, and Mahatma yellow rice.  There was a burn ban in the park, so we could not have a real campfire.

Then we took a drive around the park.  We saw two deer along run across the road and a raccoon eating something out of the dumpster.  I also saw another small white animal but it was too far away to distinguish exactly what it was… it ran across the road near our campsite.

It stayed very warm at night.  We tried to stay cool, by opening the windows, using iced clothes, and drinking lots of water… we stayed out of our sleeping bags.

Medical Report:  I got a splinter in my right hand from the picnic table.  L